280ZX fuel tanks questions

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Hey all,

I had a look at the 280ZX fuel tank I'm thinking of fitting (somehow). Never having been close to the inner workings of a fuel tank I thought I'd check it out, especially as it seems to have more pipes that the 240Z tank.

First up is the baffling, is that it? Snail like bit of plastic, some how not at all what I was expecting, although I imagine it would do an OK job of keeping fuel by the pick up.

Second is a pipe sticking out away from the main removable float part. I guess this is a breather of some description, not too sure If I need it due to...

Third, the big fat (15mm) pipe sticking out of the float assembly, is this another breather? Perhaps it should attached to the filler pipe somehow?

Finally what's the sensor type looking thing for? Is there an equivalent on the early cars?

Thanks for any info!

Cheers,
Rob

Attachments

• baffle.jpg
    baffle.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 19
  • breather.jpg
    breather.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 20
  • pipes.jpg
    pipes.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 17
  • gubbins.jpg
    gubbins.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 19
Oh, and while on the subject, what sort of PSI rating do I need for the fuel lines to support a 3l fuel injection engine?

Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob, pic 1 is the well which collects fuel so there is always a constant supply of fuel for the pump to suck up, it avoids lack of fuel when cornering which you wouldnt get on a carburettored car. Pic 2 both the breather pipes connect together in the filler neck area on a 280.
pic 4 the Nissan works manual describes this as a "sender unit",. not sure what it does as there is no other reference to it in the manual, but I bet Mr F knows!
EFI fuel hose sold in accessory shops generally has a 10 bar rating which is more than enough for a standard EFI set up.
Adrian

Rob
Don't sup you have a pic of a 240 sender do you?
Like the 280 showing it's insides.

Thanks Adrian, I'll make sure those two breather pipes get to some suitable place, and I'll happily ignore the sender thing!

900ss said:
Rob

Sorry mate, it's still very much in the car.

Cheers,
Rob

900ss said:
Rob
I HAVE MY 260 ONE OUT, ARE THEY THE SAME OR NEAR ENOUGH, AS I CAN DO A PIC

Paul, I really don't know :confused:

I know me 240 sender has just 2 elec terminals n nothing else. i.e the fuel pipes come out of the tank.
If it sounds like that then it could be ?
A pic would be helpful yes :D

i hope these are ok wynn, i took a few more! tank pipe is return(pipe on left and tank upside down so stand on ya heed!.....lol

Attachments

• pic1.JPG
    pic1.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 15
  • pic3.JPG
    pic3.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 14
  • [ic2.JPG
    [ic2.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 14
Those are fine m8 :)
Looks like it could be the same, but then I haven't seen inside mine or even looked that close atm.
Cheers.

Black Bug said:
I had a look at the 280ZX fuel tank I'm thinking of fitting (somehow). Never having been close to the inner workings of a fuel tank I thought I'd check it out, especially as it seems to have more pipes that the 240Z tank.
You don't like your spare wheel well that much then do you Rob? I take it that you are going to chop it out to make a flat boot floor like the 280ZX?

Black Bug said:
Finally what's the sensor type looking thing for? Is there an equivalent on the early cars?
If my memory serves me well I think the sensor was for the the low fuel light on the dash!

zeeman1972 said:
You don't like your spare wheel well that much then do you Rob? I take it that you are going to chop it out to make a flat boot floor like the 280ZX?

Yup, surgery would be required but as I haven't even got a spare wheel the well is pretty pointless. Still need to double check measurements on the ZX tank though, hopefully it'll fit nice and snug between the two rear frame rails.

zeeman1972 said:
If my memory serves me well I think the sensor was for the the low fuel light on the dash!

Ah, utterly pointless then!!

Cheers,
Rob

Might be worth havng a look at a 2.8i capri tank if you don't want to lose the well.
Same as below, part from being obv inj :)

image098.gif

Or poss a Carlton tank ?

5038006.jpg

Thanks for the pics Wyn, but there's one advantage to having a nicely central fuel tank that I hope to take advantage of down the line. Think double barrel :D

Cheers,
Rob

Back