280zx discs & calipers

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
:S30: i bet somone has already asked this but, can any one tell me do 280zx discs & calipers fit a 260z. wondered if these make a good upgrade or not:confused: there from the same car i got the dizzy and coil from cheep:D

spagit147
260z 2+2

I was going to upgrade my brakes to some far superior ones, Wilwood calipers in fact and then I read a post on HybridZ which states that the Z brakes are more then adequate for street driving, autox and drag racing (even if pushing a turbo or a V8).

If you feel they are not up to the job chances are they need a service, for starters if you still have the flexible rubber brake lines they can be changed for braided ones which do help, a good service of all parts and changing the pads to ones which suit your still of driving and it should be stopping very well.

Sorry this isn't what you asked though :)

Whilst you're at it, are Green/red stuff etc pads available for 280 brake upgrades?

MrG240Z said:
Mr.F will be a good bet on knowing that.
I bet he does aswell lol :D
Just trying to put things in place for when I get it out on tut track day ;)
Can't be having fade into the nearest tree lol

You can put have them on a 240/260, the car Mr F. is selling has 280zx on. I think its just a case of enlarging the holes the bolts go through on the struts that hold the calipers on. I presume there must be a bit more bite with these, but whether its worth or not (as post above) I don't know. I'm just saying it can be done!!

Ian

TBH, I don't think the 280ZX front caliper is much of an upgrade - OK, you get a (small) ventilated disc and a bit more pad area, but a single piston sliding caliper is not the most elegant or efficient of designs.

Fitting is not absolutely straightforward and is not readily revesible - the Z caliper bolt passes through the body into a thread in the strut; the 280 bolt passes through the strut into a thread in the caliper frame. Thus step one is to enlarge the strut holes by taking away the thread! The rest is just a matter of spacing washers and modified pipework.

:S30: ok thanks for the info on the zx set up. i think its not worth the hassle.... i think i read somewhere that rangerover fore pot fronts and princess discs is or was a combination used??? did i read rubbish or is this a good idea iv got rangerover calipers someplace in the garage i think???......

spagit147
260z 2+2

I'm doing the Range Rover way, callipers cross driled to ensure equal pressure on the pads and mount holes drilled and sleved. no point doing the rear's as they lock up easily enough with shoes let alone discs unless its looks your after! oh upgrade master and servo too .....280 stuff!

:S30: now this sounds more like it any chance of some pics when you done grolls????

spagit147
260z 2+2

Back