280 ZX Owners advice please

P.Nutt

Forum User
I have a recently acquired late 280ZX 2+2 Auto. I notice that the rear of the car appears to sit a little lower than the front. There is room for a hand between the top of the wheel and the wheelarch at the front, but not at the rear. Looks a bit like the red car that Rothon has posted in the gallery, though I've seen pictures of other cars that seem to have even gaps above front and rear wheels. Wheels and tyres are standard. I've been talking to Mike Feeney, but he can't magically diagnose at a distance of course. Previous owner says the car has always had this stance before and after a previous shock absorber change (and he's completely trustworthy). Anyone else have a car with this low stance at the rear or got any comments?

I've had exactly the same frustrating issue with my 280ZX 2-seater; in fact every 280 that I have ever owned seems to have this "sit up and beg" stance.

I have tried various combinations of front/rear springs and yet I have never been able to get the ride height spot on. Even now, I think I am running short front springs and standard rears, but it still doesn't look right.

If you get to the bottom of it, please post the solution!

Shock absorber changes on a 280 will not affect the stance. Why dont you try a new set of front and rear springs, made to order. Years of use and abuse have probably weakened the existing springs. My import Fairlady 280ZX was virtually undrivable at high speed over A or B roads till I fitted a new set of springs all round. You cant beat a bit of Sheffield's finest to sort out your suspension. That modest Mr F fellow will arrange it all for you!

Hi pmac,

Sensible advice, but I've tried fitting new springs and even with new short springs at the front and new standard springs at the rear, it still doesn't seem quite right.........

(sorry for hijacking your thread pnutt!)

Hi guys

I take if by that refering to the red 280 we've posted in our gallery you mean our car. It's always sat low like that and does seem to be lower than other 280's. We dont have any handling problems at all :D car handles very well on these local B roads, suspension is firm but not to hard. We're at a bit of a lost as to what was done to the car before we bought it ??

Thanks for these responses folks. Makes me feel a little more at ease. Curious as to why there should be these differences, but if others are managing fine in similar circumstances I might not need to worry too much yet. Feel free to continue to hijack the thread - I'm learning all the time!

Perhaps its the weight of all that extra fibre glass that drags the back down, Shot.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On a more serious note I was wondering if some after market replacement rear shocks have their spring seats welded at the wrong height???

That was certainly one of MF's suggestions - I'm just not sure yet who I can get within reach of Leeds to check it out.

Your Prayers are answered, P.Nutt - we are situated about 35 minutes drive away from you near Thirsk, just off the A1M at J49.

We happen to have a 280ZX 2+2 which we are breaking, and Lo and Behold, there's a pair of standard shockers still remaining on it which you can have for free.. ( I don't believe I really said that....), if you care to bring your tools with you.

Call us on 01845 587100

I wouldn't know one end of a tool (of any kind) from the other! I'll give you a call though. I've emailed you twice via this website but had no response strangely enough

I'm sorry to revert to my prophet of doom mode in the face of an offer of free shocks, BUT in my opinion fitting a pair of s/h rear shocks is a bit of a waste of time as they are likely to be just as tired as your existing ones. I have tried it. Even when new the Nissan shocks were only just adequate. The only sensible way forward is to fit new uprated shocks and preferably the uprated springs at the same time. Tocickos are deffo OK on spring pan height. I know as I have already gone down this route with my own car (now sold). it will transform the car, you will not believe the improvement. Fitting is very straightforward any garage will be able to do it if you really are a numpty with spanners.

notwithstanding the weight of all the fibreglass (!!) i'm running new tokicos and new springs all round, but it still sits lower at the back.

every 280 i've had has been like this :(

Back