260z core/freeze plugs

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
can any kind soul tell me how many core/freeze plugs are on 260z engine and also where they are positioned.im trying to find out where its leaking water from as block at the back of engine near starter motor is soaking wet.just hopeing its not an engine out job.cheers

The rear core plug for the block is behind the flywheel and I am not sure if this can be replaced with the engine in. I have only replaced as part of an engine rebuild with the engine out.

Mike

if the engine needs taking out and core plug in block needs replacing what sort of figure are we talking about to get someone to do it.its in a council garage at the momment which are tiny and car not on the road.i can drive it out of garage though

As I am luck to have the facilities to enable me to do that sort of work myself its not something I could comment on.

Mike

There is a core plug at the rear end of the Cylinder Head which could be the culprit, otherwise there are seven on the Cylinder Block side walls to check.
If it's none of the above that is leaking, then all that's left is the one at the rear of the Engine Block itself, which unfortunately is an Engine out job as it sits within the Gearbox Bellhousing.

it does seem strange its only the back of block drivers side thats wet.passenger side is dry so fingers crossed its not the rear of engine block one

Back