240z rev counter calibration

240zchevyv8

Well-Known Forum User
:thumbs: hi everyone ive got a 1970 240z from the USA with a v8 engine :cool: but ouch for petrol and the rev counter isnt working i suspect it is not broken but not picking up the signal from the v8 different frequency or something like that:conf2: im sure i read somewhere that you can alter the frequency range on the 240z rev counter by a signal pickup adjustment screw on the back of the rev counter has anyone done this and what is the procedure do you do it with engine running do you turn clockwise or anticlockwise how many turns etc etc any help on this matter would be appreciated :bow:heath

If you go to the John's Cars Website - www.brokenkitty.com and click the z picture and follow it through, they do conversion kits so the clocks work properly.

Hope it helps !!

Nice choice of car / engine by the way - fancy telling us about it and postinng pictures ?

Direct link to page here : http://www.brokenkitty.com/zcar/zcar.htm

Tachometer calibration: We will calibrate your analog Z tach to read the revs and keep your interior stock. Cost is 75.00 but if you order all the JCI parts above, the tach calibration is your BONUS - no charge. You don't have to buy headers if you are in California to qualify for Bonus

Last edited by a moderator:
:thumbs: hi thanks for the info i went on the website as recommended but id have to buy products i dont need? car has the v8 in it and running to find out about the calibration i will post some picture when i get time. the engine is a 5.4 litre 327 cubic inch chevy with a 600cfm 4bbl webber carburator and lumpy cam awsom idle:devil: gets looks everywhere it goes and 5 speed manual box im guessing 0-60 is under 6.5 seconds i havent timed it yet but it feels fast only problem is you cannot boot it in first wheels just spin to much but in second it sets of like its on fire handling is a big issue at the moment car feels completely loose at above 70mph must be centre of gravity shift anyhow ive ordered a colplete set of superflex bushes for car to see if that helps ive got a set of coilovers but need the strut inserts ill do one job at a time until it handles the way my old 240z used to (like it was on rails) car seems higher on rear end so im assuming due to having the larger engine weight wise the rear has lifted up slightly only an inch that this has completely thrown of the car set up so if i fit the coil overs on i could lower the rear to its correct ride height and improve stability at excessive speed:thumbs: any comments would be helpfull in setting up the car geometry:conf2:

You don;t have to buy any other products, send them the rev counter and $75 and they will recalibrate it and send it back ......

If yours is the 5.7 with a carb it will be an "iron block" engine and will not be fitted with a kit from John's Cars, it will more than likely be fitted with a kit from "Jags That Run"
With this kit the heavier iron block engine is set further forward than the aluminium engines mounted witha John's Cars (JCI) kit.

This does tend to muck the handling about, however, there are many people here who would help and advise you on dampers and springs to help alleviate the problems - cornner weighting would help too.

www.jagsthatrun.com

I cannot see anything on their site about recalibration of clocks but I am sure it is covered in their book (available from the z club shop) - I have a copy, will dig it out tomorrow if I can and see what it says.

mine is the 5.4 v8 and yes who ever fitted engine set it forward about 4 inches further forward than i would i suspect that this isnt helping matters but as a last resort if bushes and coilovers dont solve problem ill move the engine back all ill need is to get new mounts, new bonnet catch shorten the exhaust and have the prop shortened and high speed balanced oh and remount the gearbox and one or two bits of water hose but all in a weekends work or two does anyone know what strut inserts if any fit the 240z from other cars i know the 280zx fit the front because i had them on my last zed

You don't need to get inserts from another car. There are plenty of aftermarket dampers for the 240 / 260zs that are very good, such as Tokico, that will make a big difference over standard (don't know what you have currently). Springs are personal choice but again, they are readily available and not innordinately expensive.

The guy to talk to about parts here is Mr. F - you will see his posts, so, either reply or ping him a PM - he is very helpful and seriously knows his SH*T about these cars. Oh yes, .... and he is a bit of a V8 nut too so he will be interested :D Back in the 80s he put the first small block in this country into a 240z.

Where abouts in the UK are you ?

im in worksop near sheffield i had the tracking done today that helped a fair bit with the wandering at speed just sorted the sway bar bushings out not standard size on front and rear so hopefully in a couple of weeks car will completely be superflex should stiffen it up a bit ill see what its like then next job is to waxoil car to death these so called rust free 240z dont exist what they mean is no rust showing but cant complain last car took 3 years to get ready for the MOT this one took a week so money well spent will check out mr F for strut inserts thanks for the advice if your close by pop in for a look its always nice to talk to people with the same interest in zed cars regards heath

Back