240Z Rear Suspension Part Query

DJacey

Club Member
Does any one know where the 'washer-special D' part 15 is located and its dimensions please? Thanks

Attachments

• Rear suspension item 15.jpg
    Rear suspension item 15.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 52

johnymd

Club Member
I'm struggling to see it on the drawing, any clues? I'm usually good at where's Wally pictures.

DJacey

Club Member
That's the problem - it's not shown on the fiche. Four of them are required which makes me think it has something to do with 20/21/22 perhaps? It applies to all years covered on the fiche. It's a mystery to me.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I believe these are the 4 special doubler washers that were supplied to be welded onto the diff front crossmember to beef up the mount holes either side of the transverse link bushings. In-service fix.

They appear - with the same part number - on a different version of the same fiche diagram, numbered 13, again 4-off per car and a pack of 10 when ordered. Not visible on the fiche. I think they had one flat side on them (hence 'D' washer) which was needed because they were so close to the transverse link bushings that they were beefing up.

I only remember this because they became part of another conversation elsewhere about parts that are 'invisible' on the fiches, and/or drawn wrongly. Real rivet counter stuff, but of interest to me.

DJacey

Club Member
Thanks Albrecht - now that makes perfect sense. I've taken a photo of my diff crossmember which shows the welded washer. Another mystery solved!

IMG_20210630_124532434[1].jpg

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Glad to be able to help clear it up.

Just as an aside, I looked the part number up in the Japanese market fiches and it simply doesn't appear. No sign of it. I would guess that this means they were able to get on top of the problem at-source in Japan by quickly applying the fix when the crossmembers were being produced, but where cars had already been exported they needed to supply an in-field solution as a catch-up should it be required.

Pretty rare too see a front diff crossmember without the beef-up washers in my experience.