240 Rearlights on a 260?

Borderline 260

Club Member
I'm looking at getting a set of Black cloud Battalion LED rear lights for my 260z.

https://www.google.com/search?q=led...oKHRvcBgsQ9QEwDHoECAQQCA#imgrc=Y4mAIoyr78mByM:

https://www.stancenation.com/2017/11/27/the-devil-z-scott-koehlers-datsun-240z/

The thing is they only produce them to fit the 240z.

Does anyone know how easy it is at fitting 240 lights to a 260 and what the process is?

I am looking at getting a carbon fiber rear light panel as well. As seen bellow.

https://retro-spec.myshopify.com/co...ucts/retro-spec-280z-260z-tail-light-panels-1

Would it be best to get a 240 rear light panel or a 260?

Hope this all makes sense!

richiep

Club Member
It’s a very common mod in Japan to fit early (240z) style lights on later cars. It’s easy to do, but you have to enlarge the holes in the rear panel for the light units to accommodate the larger 240Z ones and you’ll have to blank what’s left of the 260Z reversing light holes - unless you want a nice big route for water ingress!

Makesy

Club Member
I like those lights! Very cool for a full on JDM special, though maybe not for my project where I'm keeping a relatively stock look.

Plus they cost a fortune!

Would love to see more pics if you get hold of a set

richiep

Club Member
It’s the look I’m going for?
Fair enough!

I’m trying not to sound like a fuddy-duddy purist (because I really am not one!) but personally I think the carbon stuff tends to look a bit incongruous and 90s - even on a restomod. But - your taste, your car, prove me wrong! :D :cheers:

Borderline 260

Club Member
Fair enough!

I’m trying not to sound like a fuddy-duddy purist (because I really am not one!) but personally I think the carbon stuff tends to look a bit incongruous and 90s - even on a restomod. But - your taste, your car, prove me wrong! :D :cheers:

I know what you mean but hopefully it will be well executed as I think it will contrast nicely with the Nardo grey! Going for carbon Airdam, arches, tail lights and spoiler. If it looks no good it get it sprayed black .

Borderline 260

Club Member
I like those lights! Very cool for a full on JDM special, though maybe not for my project where I'm keeping a relatively stock look.

Plus they cost a fortune!

Would love to see more pics if you get hold of a set

I think they will make the car look another step up but your right, VERY pricey!! I’ve been in contact with the company that make them and going to ask for some sort of deal?!:nopity:

Makesy

Club Member
What's 'JDM' about them? They look more like they came from DFS or B&Q...

On the other hand, maybe I should be applauding them for trying to do something with the stock left over from when Maplins went bust?

They're an acquired taste for sure, but are you telling me you can't imagine a pair of these on a souped up Fairlady flying around the wangan?

I attach some further viewing pleasure courtesy of our friends out East...

your-guide-to-the-japanese-car-culture-54990_1.jpg

your-guide-to-the-japanese-car-culture-54990_4.jpg

takeyari-japan-s-crazy-bamboo-spear-exhaust-fetish-for-bosozoku-cars-96473_7.jpg

Makesy

Club Member
I think they will make the car look another step up but your right, VERY pricey!! I’ve been in contact with the company that make them and going to ask for some sort of deal?!:nopity:

Fingers crossed for you.

If you are looking for a 'lower cost' option, the dapper lighting kits scrolling indicators look pretty good.

https://www.dapperlighting.com/prod...equential-led-tail-lights?variant=20350468804

I've a friend who is handy with electronics and Arduinos so I've thought about chucking him a few quid to make me something similar, but this really is much further down the list of priorities for me (my car still isn't registered, for one!)

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
They're an acquired taste for sure, but are you telling me you can't imagine a pair of these on a souped up Fairlady flying around the wangan?

I think we light need to remind ourselves what 'JDM' actually stands for?

I certainly never saw anything like the 'Black Cloud Battalion' LED rear lights when I was "flying round the Wangan" myself with my Hashiriya friends 30+ years ago. Back then we would have occasionally seen C110 or R31 tail lights transplanted onto an S30 or S31, and as long as it was done well we would not laugh.

But we certainly did laugh at the pretend Bosozoku (we tended not to laugh at real Bosozoku, mainly because two of my friends used to be local group members...) and they seemed to come out mainly at New Year for one or two nights of high jinks before their mostly bodged up and illegal cars were abandoned on the street. In period nobody expected that stuff to last, let alone take it seriously as some kind of style bible decades later. And it wasn't done entirely seriously the first time 'round, so the re-enactors are missing the element of irony involved.

Somewhere in a parallel universe there must be a trend for recreating the cars and antics of UK 'Barry Boys', performing "skids" in the McDonalds car park with tea trays under their back wheels. Maybe they call it 'UKDM'?