200SX diff

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Probably one for Mr F. The 200sx is rumoured to have an R200 4.1 diff. Is this true & is it the same fitment as the earlier 280zx?

An R200 diff' is an R200 dif', so if a 200SX has one then you can make it fit your Zed (240/260/280zx).

What will differ is the back plate, the mounting (moustach) bar and the output flanges.

R200

I heard that too but got 1 form a junk yard and it had a crappy ratio and was def not a 4.1 so do more research before you buy 1. Mine was from new shape turbo. dont know if that makes a difference

Wes

An R200 diff' is an R200 dif'

Sadly, not so! There are "long" and "short" nose versions and numerous detail changes have been made. I have an S14 R200 here at the moment and it definitely is shorter than my 280 version by about 4" - 5" at least. The fixing method at the front of the diff is also different, sitting on two large bush mounts. Output flanges and propshaft flange are also entirely different to Z and early 280ZX. S14 ratios are 3.9:1 auto and 3.7:1 manual.

Some S13 models have a "long" nose R200 with similar front fixing to Z/ZX which would be a suitable replacement (not without work on flanges). S13 ratios are all 3.9:1. Not all S13 have LSD. ABS versions will have "short" nose R200.

A 4.11:1 ratio R200 is found in the S12 2.0litre FJ20 engined version of the S12 Silvia.........

Mike: I have a picture in front of me of an 85/86 200sx turbo diff said to be a non LSD 4.111 which apparently uses CV type drive-shafts. Admittedly it's from an American website but it looks remarkably similar in length etc to a late 280ZX. Was this model called something else over here & would you know if the late drive-shafts from a 280ZX would fit.

The 85/86 200SX in the USA is more or less equivalent to our S12 Silvia models, so the 4.11 will be a long nose version of the R200 as found in the FJ20 engined variant we received. There is a good chance that this will accept the late 280ZX CV type drive shafts (from a manual car, not an auto), or possibly the Z31 shafts (although there are three types of those). You will still need to adapt the outer flange to the Z hubs.

I have successfully completed an S13 LSD swop into my 280zx 3.9 R200 diff casing for my 260z. It is not without some complications. Crownwheel bolts different size, splined shafts different into LSD, 6 bolt flanges on CV shafts. oil seals different size to flanges. I had one-off shafts made and used outer flanges from either S12 Silvia or 280zx(Hubs must be 240z, smaller splines) All working fine in my 260z TT.

260TT: Sounds expensive to me & I take it youv'e ended up with a 3.7 LSD diff, or have you used the original 3.9, hence the problem with bolts etc? My idea was to use a Quaife LSD in an S12 4.1 with original CWP which theoretically does away with the need for modifications other than than to the wheel flanges.

I purchased an S13 diff and shafts complete from Autosave breakers in Bury for £180 plus VAT. A pair of short splined shafts were made by North West Propshafts in Chorley for £212. Plus 2 oil seals, rear gasket and LSD oil, and the all important sleeves for crownwheel bolts to keep the 3.9 ratio. All flanges and CV joints were used from S12 and S13 respectively to suit!

a Quaife LSD

Just a pedantic point - the Quaife R200 unit is a TorSen design, i.e. Torque Sensing, and more usually referred to as ATB (Automatic Torque Biasing) as opposed to an LSD. They are not "slippers" like the more common clutch plate type or "lockers" like the relatively rare cam and pawl type.
The standard SX type of slip limiting diff is of a third type, the viscous coupling.

On another tack - does anyone have any experience of the Phantom Grip LSD conversion unit? Offered by Cambridge Motorsports, made in America and also seen on a variety of internet sites, I have yet to meet anyone who has had direct experience. Looks cheap and simple and may be the answer to many Z owners needs.......

Mike: Yes they are very cheap, especially in bulk! Someone said to me and I can't remember who, that the Phantom was as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard for competion needs. May be OK for the road though but having scanned the American websites have'nt actually seen anyone who has tried one.

260Z TT said:
I purchased an S13 diff and shafts complete. A pair of short splined shafts were made. All flanges and CV joints were used from S12 and S13 respectively to suit!
Mark
Have you any pics of that instal?
Was that a short or long nose diff you used?

900 SS,

I will try to find some pics, as it has now been in for some time!
All is still working fine, after many full throttle bursts up to 150ish mph!
I used a 280zx long nose 3.9 R200, with viscous LSD unit and flanges from short nose 200sx.
I will be at next years drag series for sure, and am looking for runs into the 10 second bracket! Watch this space!
Mark R.:S30: :devil:

Back