2" SUs...

Russ

Club Member
Well today I mainly did this

http://www.zclub.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3140&size=big&sort=1&cat=537http://www.zclub.net/gallery/data/537/1DSCF00291-med.JPG?6539

Good news is my manifold is perfect :) Bad news is I don't have a propshaft of any sort, it wasn't there when I came to remove my [5 speed] gearbox! That git in Scotland has stitched me up even more it seems.

Anyway then I got talking to Steve Kiddell (who just can't leave anything alone). Apparently I can just chuck on (with lots of love) some Jag 2" SUs, I believe mine are 1.75"? (See attachment).

Anyway I was thinking I might do that, as I have what I believe is a better exhaust (don't know how good the Janspeed ones really are tbh), I was thinking better do something to the inlet, will I see a worthwhile gain over 1.75". I have searched this forum, but can't find much on the 2" variety. Can anyone tell me what I am after exactly. Some web searching has turned up all sorts for sale.

I don't know what clearance they'll give me, but couple those with some matched trumpets, the biggest K&Ns I can fit on (I believe Mr.F said minimum of 30mm clearance from trumpet to top of filter for 200+ bhp (would be nice!)) and away I go.

Anyway any advice or help would be much appreciated. I was happy with my SUs until Skiddell started, like Zed2k said you can't help but fiddle and then it's a slippery slope!!

Oh and P.S., is there much to be gained from some delicate exhaust porting, although the castings don't look too awful, the square ports are significantly smaller than the stock gasket! Tempted to get me a kit and have a little go see what I can do.

Attachments

• DSCF0008.jpg
    DSCF0008.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 93
Hi Russ looks like it's coming on, if you are taking the head off I have a Modified E88 head you can try out for me as I have never got around to using it yet it has 1mm skimmed off for more compression and was ported and flowed by myself it would be nice to know how it goes with this on but then you'll have to get the High lift cam triples and maybe fuel injection oh no here we go again.

LOL

LOL!

I need to identify exactly what I have now. I have a late 260 radiator, I believe I have a 2.4 with normal cam, normal everything (it does sound lovely though), but my manifold has E88 on it? I guess that's standard. Also I need to figure out what gearbox I have.

Anyway I figure I'll just stick NOS on it and keep draining your bottle when I see you :)

2" SU's

Hi Russ,

The carbs you need where fitted to older Jaguars or Rover 2200 TC's, possibly others, mine came from a Jag and pictures of the converted items can be found in my gallery, very happy with them when fitted and only removed to make way for triple twin chokes

Tim

Hi,

Thanks for the heads up :)

I don't know if you can tell me (to save me the Jag research) but is any 2" Jag / Rover 2200 SU as good as any other?

Also I checked it out and I have a E88 manifold, E41 bit that joins the two branches (don't know the name of the part), and 1.7" carbs, as per this pic, which I guess is entirely standard.

Your triple twin chokes, what are they and are they much better?? Is it another name for Webbers or are they still SUs?

Thanks

I have 2" SU's on my 2.8 (P90 with headers) and I'm actually down performance-wise from the 240Z round-tops I had before. Having spoken to DJ Road & Race I'm told that the car is basically over-carbed and needs the head worked and a pokey cam fitted to bring the carbs to life. They're good carbs, but too big for a standard engine basically.

So, I wouldn't stick 'em on a STOCK 2.4!

Russ,

As far as I'm aware the SU's are much of a muchness, the only difference would be the Rover carbs will require less fabrication for the choke/fast idle system as I think they had this on a cable system as standard, the Jags ran an auto choke system but its easy to mod the Jag carbs to get a working choke, see my pics :)

My triples are Dellortos, very similar to Webers, in my opinion they should only be fitted to an engine if you have done all the other mods first, i.e.

Branched manifold and free flowing exhaust
Head work, port polish etc.
Camshaft
Better ignition system

Its been stated before on this forum but I'll say it again, putting triples of any make on a standard engine will yield little or no performance gain

Tim

Hey that's some good advice guys! :) Thanks, didn't really think about over doing the carbs. That means I can get on setting these up.

Thanks

Oh I have a question then,

Can anyone tell me what trumpet size I should buy for them? I don't know if you can get more than one length or not, but I want to be able to fit K&Ns on then somehow, and I don't know what clearance there is between them and the inner wing (I took my engine out).

Thanks

I found the motorsport that mr f gets from the states very good as it lets the engine breath better unlike the Janspeed which once you reach the end of the power-band thats it,the moteorsport just keeps going,as for the carbs if you jet them up correctly you dont need 2inch SUs on it not for a 240 lump

Hmm interesting. Thanks. Maybe if the Janspeed isn't that much cop I should sell my manifold and start all afresh. Nismo headers, yummy.

Russ said:
Oh I have a question then,Can anyone tell me what trumpet size I should buy for them? I don't know if you can get more than one length or not, but I want to be able to fit K&Ns on then somehow, and I don't know what clearance there is between them and the inner wing (I took my engine out).
Thanks
I've recently done the very thing.......67mm deep K un N's and (approx) 1 1/2" ram pipes (approx 38mm)..leaving (approx, there i go again) 30mm air space to breathe......

woosh.

Si

Qunvat, thanks mate. Can you let me know (here or by pm if you want) where you got said parts from please? What carbs were these on, the standard ones?

Cheers

I'm actually down performance-wise from the 240Z round-tops I had before. Having spoken to DJ Road & Race I'm told that the car is basically over-carbed and needs the head worked and a pokey cam fitted to bring the carbs to life
Kinda assumed (possibly wrongly) that Russ wasnt going to put the SU's (or triples for that much )on a standard engine :rolleyes:

Any engine tuning adventure should be planned carefully as no one single componant works in isolation, as Zbloke said, triples (and anything else for that matter really need other work doing in conjunction for them to work properly and it dont come cheap

Oooooh I know, but they were sitting there looking lonely :)

I can't take 'em back off now. Not having paid through the nose to have 'em fitted and getting yelled at by the mechanic who did it for having the nerve to know what I was talking about!

I'll make do for a while, then get the motor "sorted"!

I do get lots of lovely induction roar with gauzed trumpets on 'em though :)

Yeh now I have the problem of "what is the plan". Everything is out so now is the ideal time to do things, but I don't really care much if I don't set the strip on fire, but I like to fiddle.

How much would a sensible cam cost do you think? Say I go with 2" SUs, and decent exhaust, what would be the next step after a cam? I don't want to throw money at it as the end goal is really just a useable car that is sporty(er) and looks nice.

Oh where does it all stop...!? :)

Oh and I believe I have the original head from my car, so I'd like to stick with the 2.4, unless a 2.8 is cheap as chips.

Oh and just looked at those ram pipes, says H2, HS2 etc, what is the standard 240 model please?

Russ said:
Oh and just looked at those ram pipes, says H2, HS2 etc, what is the standard 240 model please?
1 3/4 " ..H6 i think ...just mail those people who deal on ebay...i bought the jag xk120 ones (yet again..i think!)

si

Back