1982 auto box clunk

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
I'm sure someone else was having problems with a clunk when putting their automatic into reverse - but can I find it!!!

So I have the same problem and then some!!

This has just started to happen

Put auto into drive, apply accelerator to pull off, nothing happen, revs go up to 2K then clunk gear engages and it shoots off!!!

Not to clever when trying to pull onto a roundabout, you go for the gap and nothing happens then she shoots off under you!

I'll check fluid levels tonight and hope that is the problem, if not.......anyone????

Mr.F

Inactive
When did you last change the fluid and filter in your auto trans? They don't last for ever as most owners seem to think.

Zbirdy

Well-Known Forum User
Suzy, Ive been having probs with my auto gear change, though this is on my 240, im guessing most autos are similar when it comes to faults though.
I had the idle speed lowered on my car, and this made a marked difference, is your car running a little too fast at tick-over I wonder. Im no expert, more a mechanical pleb really. This hasnt solved the dodgy change up, or reverse, its just helped. I have a more sinister problem going on im afraid, so, Fourways Engineering have agreed to change the box to an manual 5 speed for me. Not what i really wanted, but a good auto is hard to come by, apparently. See you at the japfest, maybe we could have a little two car contest, like " Whos hesitates longest", wins the litre of autobox oil.
Don.

adrianfr

Well-Known Forum User
Just in case you need one Suzy I just happen to have a v nice 280 auto box and torque converter sat in my garage. Theres a coincidence. As I will be fitting it if you need one anyway it saves the expense of transporting a box from somewhere else!
Adrian

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers all
Fliuds are low, have left car at home today, will buy and top up and see what happens.

Mr F I have checked with the guy that first sorted the car out and no he did not change auto fluids or filter just checked the levels (I sort of presumed he had changed all fluids as it had been standing for 4/5 years but didn't actually ask!!)
So......................

Mr F any filters in stock?

Adrian are you free next week??????

suzy

Well-Known Forum User
Zbirdy said:
See you at the japfest, maybe we could have a little two car contest, like " Whos hesitates longest", wins the litre of autobox oil.
Don.
Would that be the opposite to a drag race challenge then:)
Hey a new contest for the Z Club, we would need much of a track would we!