1970 240z Rear Bulbs?

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
Pulled the rear lights out the car (to swap the lenses from US to European) and half the bulbs have just fell apart on me..

I'm thinking they may be original based on how they have literally disintegrated (as opposed to broke/snapped/rusted/cracked/etc).

Anyhow, searched on here and can't find a post which has what bulbs I need to buy to replace. Thinking of using some LED at least (although weary of indicators due to the flasher unit etc). But that's another story..

Anyhow, what bulbs do I need for rear indicator, reverse, brake and tail lights (although I see brake/tail light are in one)?

Many thanks!!

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
PM me your email and I'll send you the FSM for the car, it's a large file but invaluable :D

morbias

Well-Known Forum User
indicator = BA15S S8
reverse = BA15S S8
tail = BA15S G6 <-- 260Z only
brake + tail = BAY15D S8

BA15S is also known as 1156
BAY15D is also known as 1157

If you want to use LED lamps for your turn signals then you need to solder a load resistor across one of the turn signal sockets, you need to put one on each side of the car - the rear ones are best because it's easier to find somewhere to mount the resistor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
PM me your email and I'll send you the FSM for the car, it's a large file but invaluable :D

Cheers! I'll drop you a PM now! Thanks!!!

indicator = BA15S S8
reverse = BA15S S8
tail = BA15S G6 <-- 260Z only
brake + tail = BAY15D S8

BA15S is also known as 1156
BAY15D is also known as 1157

If you want to use LED lamps for your turn signals then you need to solder a load resistor across one of the turn signal sockets, you need to put one on each side of the car - the rear ones are best because it's easier to find somewhere to mount the resistor.

Yeah, I'm tempted to leave the indicators as filament and just LED the rest. Just some small things that will help avoid the common fuse panel melting! Nothing major, but if I can save a little juice here and there, it can but only be a good thing!

Many thanks for this though!

timskintight

New Forum User
advice please

Pulled the rear lights out the car (to swap the lenses from US to European) and half the bulbs have just fell apart on me..

Was wondering is it posssible to rewire the existing US tail lights to uk spec or do the lenses need to be changed also?:unsure: If so, where to get suitable lenses?

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
You'll need to do something, as the US ones don't have orange lenses. Perhaps use the reverse clear lights with orange bulbs and a separate reversing light?

As for rewiring, again, it's doable. You need to play about with the brake switch and flasher unit wires as on the US car these both run down the same wire (indicator and brake are the same +ve wire).

You could, mind, leave as is. A number of MOT stations say that if that's how the car is from manufacture, then leave it as so. Especially if it's as early as some of these are. I've had one MOT station tell me they'd pass it without question with US lights on, and one say no chance it needs orange indicators. Depends entirely on the tester I think!!