260z Huggys

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
This is a key theme that comes up when people start to entertain the idea of a getting into Zs and buying a project. The 4-figure projects like this one are suited to those of us who live and breathe these cars, have the equipment, and know how to work on them, making it possible for a restoration to be managed economically. For someone coming in fresh with expectations of having someone else do the work, they will end up extremely expensive. Which makes it more sensible IMO for someone in that position to save the pennies up and buy a running, driving car in the high-teens to twenties that can be enjoyed and tweaked to taste on the go. It'll be cheaper in the long run.

So much this ^

Should have done exactly this myself.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Richie is bang on the money. To those that know these cars well, this is probably a nice project, as the experienced eye can scan it pretty quickly and see the pitfalls and what needs attention, and therefore expense. Those that don't know the cars are going to be on a pretty steep learning curve, pretty soon after purchase. And if you're paying someone else to have it all done, it's going to rack up the ££££ very fast.

richiep

Club Member
And that learning curve and the painful lessons associated with it may “poison the well” so to speak; a good way to lose any potential love for a car is to see continuous bills and a restoration process getting stretched out as each layer of rot is pared back to unveil the next one.

Buying at the bottom is a false economy for the Z newbie.

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
And that learning curve and the painful lessons associated with it may “poison the well” so to speak; a good way to lose any potential love for a car is to see continuous bills and a restoration process getting stretched out as each layer of rot is pared back to unveil the next one.

Buying at the bottom is a false economy for the Z newbie.

And ya know, never getting to drive it...

johnymd

Club Member
Generally I tend to try and get my projects usable ASAP so I can get some fun out of them. Once usable I then evolve them as and when I have either time or money. My silver car is a good example of this. This was back on the road in around a year with me doing nearly all the work and then taken to Donny, Spa, Goodwood and many other events that year. It's not an immaculately restored car but is fully rebuilt from a shell up with a tatty but purposeful look. It doesn't matter that its not had a full repaint for me to enjoy it. My advice to others is fix the rust and get the car usable first so you can enjoy it. Then you can plan the restoration while your still getting fun out of it.

If I was buying this car then I'd leave the paint as is, Fix any rust and seal the underside, pull all the suspension/brakes apart and replace all wear items., get it running and drive it. Pretty much what i've done to most of my zeds.