240z lights on a 260z 2+2

TheHulkGB

Club Member
Hi guys, I’m wanting to install 240z taillights on my 260z 2+2. I’ve already got the lights and the surround. Should I be able to get them to fit with some modifications? Or are the back plates different sizes for the 2+2?

Last edited:

Mark N

Club Member
The 260Z 2+2 has a wider rear panel than the two seater and uses wider light backing panels to fill the gap.
That said, many things can be adapted to fit where they are not intended but will take time and effort.
However, you also run the risk of it not looking right once you are done!

TheHulkGB

Club Member
The 260Z 2+2 has a wider rear panel than the two seater and uses wider light backing panels to fill the gap.
That said, many things can be adapted to fit where they are not intended but will take time and effort.
However, you also run the risk of it not looking right once you are done!
Do you know any companies that have made a back panels that fixes this issue? If not a company that can make a custom back panel?

TheHulkGB

Club Member
hows the car coming on?
Was planning to get it on the road this year but Covid put an end to that. Not been working on it for the last 3 months as the restorer has been closed. Going to restart very soon. I’d say we’re 40% through the rust repairs. Still a long way to go!

uk66fastback

Club Member
I don’t know for sure, but if you have the outside two pieces, it’s probably just the centre piece you need to be modified.

So the 260 is wider than the 240?

Mark N

Club Member
I don’t know for sure, but if you have the outside two pieces, it’s probably just the centre piece you need to be modified.

This is a 260Z/280Z 2+2 tail light.
It has the fins between the reverse lights and the number plate.

datsun-260z-280z-2-2-rear-tail-light-bezel-passenger-side-right.jpeg

TheHulkGB

Club Member

All the 2 seaters have the same size plate, just the lights are in different positions and obviously the 260 and 280 don’t have integrated reverse lights. The 2+2 plate is a slightly larger size I’ve been told. Some people say I need to chop and extend the centre section of my 240 plate to make it fit, not sure if this is going to be a perfect fit.

uk66fastback

Club Member
The 260Z 2+2 has a wider rear panel than the two seater and uses wider light backing panels to fill the gap!

Sorry, I read that to be the whole car was wider ...

I am sure you could do something at the back if you defo wanted the 240z look ...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Do you know any companies that have made a back panels that fixes this issue? If not a company that can make a custom back panel?

I've just proposed the idea to one company who may well be interested in doing this - when I have more news, I'll share here.