acetone

atomman

Club Member
I have read a bit about it, when i was reading up on Snake oil and octane boosters a few year ago for the race cars,

You tried it ?

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
DO NOT DO IT ! Unless your a chemical scientist it is possible to have an immense cock up ! :eek:

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
Don't worry zpuppy I have expert help!

Terry pm me please, I have a feeling I shouldn't have started this thread.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
From an octane boosting
perspective
Its a common misconception that higher octane = higher power

An engine will only benefit from octane boosting additives if the compression ratio is sympathetic and even then on an NA system the gain on an individual engine is neglegable.

Pete and I along with Dave walker ran back to back tests on a dyno using Shell V power versus a race fuel of 106 rating the result on a 12:1 race spec NA engine was............not measurable. If that had been a forced induction engine then the higher octane level would have allowed a higher boost level without the onset of det and thus more power.

The irony is that whilst adding chemicals such as acetone or toluene increase the octane rating and allow higher comp ratios.......they decrease the calorific yield.

johnymd

Club Member
Very interesting reading there Matt. May have to try a bit myself. For the fuel consumption bit as much as anything else.

Throttleton

Well-Known Forum User
It's the fuel consumption that interests me the most, rather than power gain, fuel is so effing expensive.
I've had a chat with my boffin contact and there are gains to be made but the mixing of two volatile liquids has obvious and inevitable risks I am told.
I am slightly regretting starting this post so 'don't try this at home'
I might do a bench test with my strimmer.
Measured amount of fuel, static revs and time it till it conks out.
Same test with a petrol/acetone mix.

On another note but connected you can legally buy stills nowadays in England and produce your own biofuel. There is a yearly limit and you can only add so much to fuel depending on the car but I think it's about 2000 litres a year you can make.
I think it has something to do with the 'green movement'

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
I have dabbled with biodiesel in my Isuzu Trooper. To be honest I tried it once and went back on the decision. Main issue with bio is it strips the gunk out of the fuel lines and clogs up the filter in no time at all (about 3-500 miles). This isn't the biggest issue. The major problem is it eats the pump seals and then all your cheap bio sprays out onto the road ... not so cost effective now.

Obviously this is the results of a 23 year old diesel with an engine mouted pump. An in tank petrol pump wouldn't be such an issue, but again it does nasty things to the rubber seals etc and you could see premature pump failure.

Other issues is the lower fuel economy, and less power.

rhanagar

Well-Known Forum User
Forgot to add. Biofuels isn't suitable for all cars ... in fact the newer the car the more likely your going to have issues ... unless key components have be tailored to suit Biofuels ... this includes biofuel friendly seals etc etc