Zed bits n import duty.... USA etc

Wyn

Club Member
Does import duty apply to "all" used car parts you buy from the states etc ?

What decides the rate, Is it a year or value thing? ….
Also is it based on what you paid or what its worth?

Is there a way of not paying duty n wtf is it for anyway :confused:

Depends mate, i bought an Item brand new from the states for just under a 100 quid and paid no duty on it, so its hard to say. The rate is about 20 sumthing percent of the value i think if charged.

I bought about £70 of bits and paid about £20 duty (some of which was the Fedex fee for paying for it) I believe. From what I remember anyway.

I find things shipped thru USPS (Not UPS) tend not to get hit with duty, but private company deliveries (UPS FEDEX etc do). Ill ask my mate who works for UPS what the duty is or im sure Mr F will know.

Duty (I think) is in the region of 5 - 6.5%, but VAT will be charged also. The formula is cumulative too:

Price of part + shipping = value of part
Duty charged at Value of part + %duty
VAT charged on this new value of part + shipping + duty at 17.5%
Import couriers will charge between £10 and £35 for doing the paperwork to allow the government to rob you of your hard-earned.

When you look at buying parts abroad, you will always run the risk of this extra cost being applied, so figure it into your calculations anyway. Postal services usually can't be bothered with small amounts, but they will happily collect from larger value packages and usually want cash at the door!
Courier services may not charge you on delivery but will send you an invoice for the additional charges later.

If shipping from USA, always ask me - I ship large, have my own freight forwarder who is working for me and you don't get involved in anything apart from paying me a fair price for the effort involved - no nasty surprises, big carriage charges you weren't told about etc.

Any method of avoiding duty and VAT on import goods is illegal - written down invoicing, "sent as gift or sample" or simple smuggling. I don't condone any of them but sometimes it's hard to say no!

Mr.F said:
I don't condone ... but sometimes it's hard to say no!
Cool, I have this packet of flower see that I need ....
lmao.gif

You say duty is charged at the parts value?
Is that the value on the receipt or the real world valve?

ie if I buy a $100 item and the recipt says $40, who's to know?

Writing down value on a receipt is a common deception. An experienced IR inspector will spot it straight away, but most probably couldn't give a toss for small shipments. Obviously, the bigger shipments are more likely to be opened and inspected.

Postal shipments are far less likely to attract attention, but many countries don't enjoy the convenience of the U.K. postal service and the shippers prefer to use a courier service. Some will have a minimum charge, so small and cheap shipments will get hit hard.

Re. the spacers - what you pay will depend on a) what you get charged for shipping (hope you got a quote up front before bidding) and, b) whether the shipper uses courier or post....worst case scenario (allowing say $75 courier shipping) could run to £160 - £170 inc. duty, VAT and shipper's fees.

Imported a USA 1970 240z into the UK in 2004 had to pay 7.5% duty on the price payed. 7.5% was classic car import duty but the car had had a new gear box fitted in 1982 so customs said i would have to pay 17.5% duty because the car was not original
so had to have "THE OLD GEAR BOX FITTED" (if you know what i mean) before the car was shipped to UK also customs know what the cars are worth i told them what i payed for the car $3200 when i went to pick up the Z lots were on hold from customs as cars worth over $5000 had invoices for under $1000 so to pay little import duty

I have bought quite a few things off Ebay from the States and they were Traders, and have never paid anything. One items value equated to £127, but still no charge. I bought some dump valves recently off a company in Japan and it turned up in birthday wrapping paper and marked 'happy Birthday'. The was just under £200 and still no charge. I think you would be unlucky if you got charged. By the way forget Courtesy in the States for parts, their postage charge is staggering, $40 minimum, whatever you buy. ( a couple of nylon shifter bushes).

Back