Z32 question????????

parmenter

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all i am looking to purchase a z32 for my wife has to auto now would you buy import or uk car??? many people tell me to stay away from a z32???? but i have looked at skylines which she really wants but ins is crazyeven for me on a gts 2.5 turbo ,& i have dealt with imports before but should i buy one any ideas or help???????:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Hi. I've owned an imported Z32 for 9 months now and have found it an absolute pleasure to drive. It's understandable for people who have never owned an import to be dubious, but what I have found is that imports (esp. Japanese) have half the mileage and a quarter of the rust of their UK counterparts, and are generally better looked after. Just make sure you find a decent club to help you out when you need it... ( ;)

Automatics are more popular than manuals - just be careful with the twin turbo version when you decide to put your foot down a bit on a corner and the car thinks 'righto lets change down a gear and spin the turbos right up' - keeps you on your toes for sure!

As to staying away from them...these people have probably never seen one let alone owned/driven one so ignore them! I'm only (only?!) 26 and the insurance is only slightly more than my previous Cavalier GSi 2000! Petrol, on the other hand, needs to be taken into consideration. :(

I have to admit my dream car is a GTR34, but I was in the same position as you 9 months ago - a Z32 on one hand or a 2.5 GTST on the other. I went for the Z cos it looks sportier and has one sexy cockpit - even some Skylines just look like normal saloons (my Cav looked better than the GTST!!!!)

Whilst all the points made are valid re. imports (spares no problem, lower mileage, less rust, more goodies), the downside is that the auto box is acknowledged to be significantly weaker than the U.K. version and may cause expensive problems if used hard.

Also, a feshly imported car may have little or no service history, so you should be prepared to accept a high initial service bill to get everything in known order. This might be a worthwhile negotiating tool with the seller.

That said, my personal preference in the Z32 market would be a carefully chosen import over the higher mileage, tired and rusty U.K. version. Obviously there are good, low mileage U.K. cars out there, but quite a rare find.

Z32 OR NOT

Hi i must say mr f you have got it right there as when i purchased my import twin turbo subaru which we drive now i had it checked out service etc it ended up costing £1000 + but was worth it as it is great now but i think we will end up with an import z32 auto as this is part of my collection which i have not owned yet .I thought this might get people thinking !!!!!!!!!, they are certainly affordable now!!!!!

Just to add my few pennies worth I have owned an imported z32 SWB NA (manual) for a similar time to Skyline Dave. I use mine daily clocking up 40-50 miles a day and have had very little trouble apart from a wheel bearing and a cracked tyre rim.
I am in no way an expert in this type of car but but if the normal buying practices for any second hand car are observed you should end up with a good car that you will enjoy.
But the question of import over UK I dont have a clue but like I say (touch wood) no bad things to say about my import experience.

Pete,

I spent ages looking for a UK 300 with low mileage which I bought and avoided imports like the plague. Knowing what I do now, I'd have no problem buying an import. As Mike says, they have less miles and less rust and the 300zx forum has all the knowledge. Just get yourself an additional oil cooler for the jap auto box if you do as they have overheating problems. Luke does a kit at the Z Centre to sort it out.
Go for the twin turbo though, there are much quicker!!!

HTH

Nick
:cool:

I WANT ONE !!!! NOW

Ok people i now have the cash to puchase a good 300zx auto t/t about up to £4000 anyone know of good one for sale as i have had to let my lovely twin turbo subaru legacy go :( :( :( & buy another pajero cheers sue:) :) so i need a run around !!!!!!!

Pete,

Check out the for sale section over on the 300zx forum, there are a few decent motors up for sale on there at the moment.

Nick
:cool:

Hi just let you know i have got my 300zx z32 at last see reply on wanted 30zx thread thanks to all who replied to this thread

Mr. F - I spoke to pmac last night and he mentioned that it might be possible to spec up the auto box to make it stronger (oil cooler?). Any ideas? I'm trying to get rid of the 306 (again) and I might be able to afford a Z32 before I get back to uni.

Originally posted by parmenter
Hi just let you know i have got my 300zx z32 at last see reply on wanted 30zx thread thanks to all who replied to this thread

And a very nice example of a stock UK Z32 it is Uncle. :D

Hey mjz less of the uncle it makes me feel old!!!!!!!!!!!

But you always have been and always will be... a big kid (and my Uncle). ;)

BIG KID

:D :D :D fair play to you, nephew like uncle! most of us in Z club are big kids anyway with our toys!!!!!!!!

Re: BIG KID

:D :D :D fair play to you, nephew like uncle! most of us in Z club are big kids anyway with our toys!!!!!!!!

And I think that's the best way to be. :D

Back