White 240Z Yorks.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
My view is that the market (ie the general public) will judge 'our' cars by what they see most - those in adverts......not mag articles, not on forums or websites !

Iif the market isn't offered beautiful, tasteful Zs - they'll never know better - yours is another prime example so thanks for making the sacrifice on 'our' behalf Mike:thumbs:

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
Wondering what this will go for, may give a better idea of what the market is like at the moment considering this is a US converted to RHD too.

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
It's a lovely looking car. If I had the money I'd bid upto maybe 32k, but I don't so............ :unsure: . That's a lie. If I had the money I'd just buy it :D
The fact it's a lhd/rhd conversion wouldn't bother me at all so long as it's been done well.
I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for far more than my fantasy bid of 32k. Things are getting expensive :devil:

I think its very safe to say this one has been done properly. It is lovely.

Its nice to see a car thats been converted wearing its original chassis number too. It'll be interesting just to see where the ebay market is with these also.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
So true Jake. When I started to look in earnest in 2010/11 a lovely silver 240 came up which was RHD conversion in great condition, been driven to Portugal and back - it went for £10k because it was converted. I really kicked myself for not buying that one at the time. Mind you, I didn't have a garage at that point either so I was in two minds about buying a car to put into storage for a year or two. :fool: :rusty crystal ball:

Anyone remember that car?

There was one derby way which was a rough conversion? Was it that one? With a Crystal ball there's lots I would have had :)

I count myself lucky as if the LHD car I had was for sale now it'd be twice what I paid and it would all end up pricing me out(again like 993's!).

Don't get me started on the bike's I've sold.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
All goes to show that if you love your 240Z - you won't sell 'cos gone are the days that you could just go out a bit later and pick up one for the same money.

datsfun

Club Member
All goes to show that if you love your 240Z - you won't sell 'cos gone are the days that you could just go out a bit later and pick up one for the same money.

ditto 260z inc the 2+2 , and 280zx

However for the Z32 and Z33 the converse applies. If you love your car, then sell today and buy tomorrow. Cheaper :devil: :smash:

Exactly the point. I also think that's why the standard of work being done/offered now is better(as a whole!). You can't jump out and jump in where you left off.

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
When values reflect the amount is really costs to properly restore/preapre a car than more owners will spend that.

Suckers like us were always gonna spend more....

I don't agree Datsfun and don't forget the Z31 and 280Zs :

260Z 2 seaters ok, the rest at prices close to the cheapest 240Zs will lose out to the buyers temptation to buy the 240Z in whatever state.

MikeB

Well-Known Forum User
At the minute a well converted good quality LHD car will probably sell at a slightly lower price than an equivalent original RHD car, but as, hopefully, demand increases, there will be a great importance on originality if you want top money.

I know Franky won't like me mentioning this, but I'll use the 911 World as the example.

15 years ago, people paying top money were happy with a well restored Pre 74 911, as long as it looked right and was mechanically sound. Then after a few years they wanted one that was restored with Porsche parts. Next was the car had to be to its original spec, so a S that started of life as an E ,wasn't as good as the real thing. Then came Franky's hated matching numbers, original chassis, original engine and original gearbox, because Porsche kept record of this at the factory and you can get a Certificate of Authenticity from them for your chassis number stating all sorts of mechanical and trim details. They were the premium until 2 years ago and now the "Nirvana" is the unrestored original car.

The demand for the Pre 74 cars, has driven their prices up (about 400% in 4 years for a 911S), this has then kicked down to the 74-89 cars, which have now doubled in price over the same period, and are continuing to rise.

Obviously if you take this over to Z World, the 240 is considered by Joe Public as the S equivalent, and it's current rise will then reflect in the subsequent 260 and 280 models.

I know a lot of folk on here like to have modded cars, my own isn't standard after all, but be prepared that at sometime in the future, you'll be faced with the choice that if you do want to sell it, the closer it is to std spec, the more likely it will be to get the better price.

Just some thoughts, and I know there will be the exceptions to the above, the likes of Ian's and Tel's superbly built modified cars will always find a generous buyer :)

At the minute a well converted good quality LHD car will probably sell at a slightly lower price than an equivalent original RHD car, but as, hopefully, demand increases, there will be a great importance on originality if you want top money.

I know Franky won't like me mentioning this, but I'll use the 911 World as the example.

15 years ago, people paying top money were happy with a well restored Pre 74 911, as long as it looked right and was mechanically sound. Then after a few years they wanted one that was restored with Porsche parts. Next was the car had to be to its original spec, so a S that started of life as an E ,wasn't as good as the real thing. Then came Franky's hated matching numbers, original chassis, original engine and original gearbox, because Porsche kept record of this at the factory and you can get a Certificate of Authenticity from them for your chassis number stating all sorts of mechanical and trim details. They were the premium until 2 years ago and now the "Nirvana" is the unrestored original car.

The demand for the Pre 74 cars, has driven their prices up (about 400% in 4 years for a 911S), this has then kicked down to the 74-89 cars, which have now doubled in price over the same period, and are continuing to rise.

Obviously if you take this over to Z World, the 240 is considered by Joe Public as the S equivalent, and it's current rise will then reflect in the subsequent 260 and 280 models.

I know a lot of folk on here like to have modded cars, my own isn't standard after all, but be prepared that at sometime in the future, you'll be faced with the choice that if you do want to sell it, the closer it is to std spec, the more likely it will be to get the better price.

Just some thoughts, and I know there will be the exceptions to the above, the likes of Ian's and Tel's superbly built modified cars will always find a generous buyer :)

Not at all Mike. I like the Original numbers matching on a 240, its a shame they only numbered the body and engine. I'm going down the line of building period modified, nothing that can't be unbolted etc. Its a shame that there's not that many cars around with 40 year old patina. I've been looking for a little 70's two stroke bike, in the uk everyone wants a 'restored one'. I want one with great mechanicals but showing all of its history/wear.

I just like poking a bit of fun at Porsche owners, they'd love their cars to be as rare and uncommon as ours :)