Where do you work on your Z?

280Zack

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm curious where everyone works on their Z's on here (home garage, commercial unit, farmers barn, the car park at work? (guilty))

I've been looking for a more permanent place to work on the car for months, but have not come up with anything for love nor money. I'm at the point where working in the car park isn't feasible as the car needs some pretty serious structural repair done to it now. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else was in a similar situation, and what they ended up figuring out.

Cheers,

Isaac

P.S. I'm in Glasgow, and yes, this is a cry for help :)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I've done pretty much everything on my car in a 3mx5mx2m single garage.

Reactions: Huw

Mark N

Club Member
It used to be on my driveway in Cyprus (good in the winter, not so much so in the summer).
Now I've just moved into a unit in Bulgaria that I rent from my father in law.

status

Well-Known Forum User
you need one of these or a mates garage

Attachments

• 46142B8C-9946-4B01-965E-B10061A4E911.jpeg
    46142B8C-9946-4B01-965E-B10061A4E911.jpeg
    490.6 KB · Views: 30

Robotsan

Club Member
Hi all,

I'm curious where everyone works on their Z's on here (home garage, commercial unit, farmers barn, the car park at work? (guilty))

I've been looking for a more permanent place to work on the car for months, but have not come up with anything for love nor money. I'm at the point where working in the car park isn't feasible as the car needs some pretty serious structural repair done to it now. I'd be curious to hear if anyone else was in a similar situation, and what they ended up figuring out.

Cheers,

Isaac

P.S. I'm in Glasgow, and yes, this is a cry for help :)

I'm assuming you don't have a driveway? If you do though and its just cover you don't have, then you could probably knock up a basic car port for a few hundred quid. My brother has just done that.

Seems brave owning a Z without that! Good luck hope you find something :)

Geoff-R

Club Member
Telling you where I work on my cars won't help but I've been fortunate, when growing up my dad always had a collection of cars so he did the hard work and found places to put them and ended up buying an old coach house that hadn't been renovated, perfect for a garage. I generally work on my Z there as it has a 4 post ramp. My other car stays in my garage at home.

If you're trying to find a place, ideally you want to work out what you're realistically able to spend on renting a place, or if you have enough to buy a place. If neither of those are an option you probably need to think about friends, relatives etc but ultimately in the long run you're going to need somewhere more permanent, even if it is small you'd be surprised what you can do with the space. I'm guessing if you're currently working on it in a car park you live in either a flat or apartment? Could you consider moving?

richiep

Club Member
Detached double garage at home, and a farm outbuilding/barn unit 20 mins down the road. My two usable cars (71' Z and 75' Celica) based at the barn, and the home garage dominated by the 72' project Z and parts, equipment, etc., associated with that.

I do look forward to the day though when I can finally clean the garage out and have two complete cars in there, with the third and all my spares, etc., over at the farm. I can then rotate the cars as to which two I have at home. Reckon this ideal is some way off though, especially as I suspect I'm going to continue to find additional projects (for myself and other people) to take up space.

What I need is a triple garage with double height so I can have a two post lift and some car storage racking in there!

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator

The lack of a decent-sized garage has led me after many years (aged 71) to switch from cars and return to motorbikes. It just became so difficult to work on cars and to keep them dry. However I did it for many years (Zs 25 years) and the enjoyment I got from owning 4 Zs was a life-changer really.

Farmer42

Club Member
I do the majority of repairs on my driveway although I do small tinkering jobs at my small lockup about a mile away where I store it. No power there though so can't do much. I have been looking round for storage with power for ages but availability is limited or is very expensive. There were a couple of places that hired ramps and tools etc. but they seem to have disappeared probably due to the H&S police. Could do with somewhere like that Classic Car Garage programme on TV.

status

Well-Known Forum User
Wish I got a higher garage so I could put a lift in but mustn’t get greedy I suppose,
That M coupe is a real weapon but I still” prefer my scoobies as they always put a smile on my face

johnymd

Club Member
I rent a unit on a farm. Not cheap but it has allowed me to have the cars I've enjoyed. I have a very small single garage at home and room on the drive for another classic under a cover. I can get 5 cars in the workshop with one on the 2 post ramp but there is really only room for 3 to work on.

Dale

Club Member
I’m also fortunate, well I say that, I did buy this house specifically for the garage. It’s a slightly larger than normal double garage that was the show house office when the estate was being built and because of that it benefits from the walls and ceiling being plaster boarded out and the floor carpeted. It‘s quite a luxury doing odd jobs on the car in a relatively cozy ‘room’. Sorry, you probably don’t want to hear that!

DEE5661A-FD8E-49D2-9E34-B639F73042D7.jpeg

uk66fastback

Club Member
Ah, so that’s where that car ended up! Quite often, the garages in these show houses end up being heated as well, as the garages were often used as offices, and when the house was sold (the last one), the patio-style sliding doors being replaced by garage doors.

Dale

Club Member
Ah, so that’s where that car ended up! Quite often, the garages in these show houses end up being heated as well, as the garages were often used as offices, and when the house was sold (the last one), the patio-style sliding doors being replaced by garage doors.
Sadly no heating in this one but you can see that the doormats are still there! :D