Were you in Pangbourne last night?

Steve Dodson

Well-Known Forum User
I always knew Z drivers are a polite bunch. A white (I think) 240Z let me out of a T junction in Pangbourne high street. I only saw it from the from but it looked and sounded great. I think the registration was XJB999L. Had 280ZX'esque vents in the bonnet, and I could see a the diagonal frame work of a roll cage.
If it was you, sorry for smiling and pointing, but you have a very nice car

Hey Steve that was me:thumbs: I was on my way back from the dyno in Reading. I didn't know if you were telling me off for having a loud car or just excited to see a 240Z so I probably gave you a blank look of huh:D Anyway nice to sort of meet you..

C

Attachments

• DSC00017.JPG
    DSC00017.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 69
  • P1010511.JPG
    P1010511.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 74
  • P1010514.JPG
    P1010514.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
Good to 'meet' you. I hardly ever see a Z on the roads. Whats the under the bonnet spec? What figures did you get from the dyno?

To long to list but 3.1L 322bhp 260lbft looking to go with a larger exhaust manifold so hope to bump that up a bit:devil:

Very nice indeed Charlie, you must be happy with those figures, your Z held it's own very well in the modern company it was in.

Who built the engine?

Hi guy’s the manifold I have at the moment is a Thrust with 42mm primaries. I really need 45mm or larger, then hopefully I car raise the rev limiter to 8000rpm and find a few more horses as the bhp is still rising right up to 7000rpm at the moment.

The head was built in Japan the rest in Australia as I was living in Melbourne for 2 years.

C

Attachments

• Picture 269.jpg
    Picture 269.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 48
  • Picture 292.jpg
    Picture 292.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 34
  • P1010335.JPG
    P1010335.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Charlie. Agree, need to go bigger, but maybe limited at what you could buy. I would look back in Japan, (if it was me)...the Kameari "Octopus" (48mm?) would be grand (though bl00dy costly!! That is the problem when you get up the upper end of N/A horses....be interested what you go for.

Very good to have a Japanese built head in the UK, they are quite a bit a head of what "we" outside of Japan can do in technical know how of getting power out of a L series head. Blimey, still rising bhp at 7000rpm...excellent, must sound lovely!!. Cam spec?

Look forward to seeing you and your car in person.
Regards
Ian

.......Oh yeah of little faith....more to come

Yeah, but its only now "some of us" are anywhere near catching up...and may I humbly say, you are going where most Z mortals would fear to tread technically and financially;)

I think the title of this thread needs changing - I wasn't interested at first because it wasn't me in Pangbourne.

However this is interesting - WOW you have some power Charlie Boy!

I've not heard of a n/a L series giving that apart from Robello and some people question their figures. Mind you I have seen Willie Robertson's car (with the Robello engine) on video and it had awesome acceleration.

The trouble with these top-end motors (spec-wise not revs) is that they are temperamental and you can't relax with them. Also of course they cost a small fortune. However to a lot of people that's where the fun is - pushing the boundaries :bow:.

What you say Rob sums it up quite nicely, though I don't know about Charlie Boy, but mine is built to be sedate and easy to drive when not pushing. Charlie boy, what is your like for living with day to day?

Its spelt Rebello by the way;)

Robello = :eek:.

By 'temperamental' I was really meaning in need of regular attention and never knowing where your next bill is coming from. I've driven Skidd's car and that was no problem to live with from a driving point of view but I think it was pushing out about 250 bhp not 322.

Hello.

322 is a good figure, but at present it is just that - a figure. There has been huge debate on here with regard to rolling road accuracy etc so it will be great to see this car in action (track day - Santa Pod).

Sorry if I'm sounding like a miserable old cynic, but it has to be said.

Here we have a UK 1/4 mile record breaking S30 potential - assuming everything else is in order - please show us, please please pretty please :)

Charlie, it's a lovely looking car and a real credit to you.

Robello = :eek:.

By 'temperamental' I was really meaning in need of regular attention and never knowing where your next bill is coming from. I've driven Skidd's car and that was no problem to live with from a driving point of view but I think it was pushing out about 250 bhp not 322.

Is this really the case? Charlie can you comment.

Hello.

322 is a good figure, but at present it is just that - a figure. There has been huge debate on here with regard to rolling road accuracy etc so it will be great to see this car in action (track day - Santa Pod).

Sorry if I'm sounding like a miserable old cynic, but it has to be said.

Here we have a UK 1/4 mile record breaking S30 potential - assuming everything else is in order - please show us, please please pretty please :)

Charlie, it's a lovely looking car and a real credit to you.

The real way to check is to have an organised shown down with other Z's at a reputable rolling road. The 1/4 mile run will never be able to take into account differences in driver ability.

By 'temperamental' I was really meaning in need of regular attention and never knowing where your next bill is coming from

I don't know about Charlie Boy's but mine is built so it does not need anything done ( say no head off to "check") to it (apart from say water pump change, which I consider a consumable) until it needs refreshed at between 90,000-100,000 miles and above.

Zedhead,
I agree, and we have has this discussion a while ago. But it is nice to have these sorts of threads so horses/torque/ drivability/impressions/different aspects to engine builds. Figures are a bit, figures, but it is nice to have a baseline and have something to move from. Rob, you have said what you bhp expect from your engine, is there much of a difference from an expected figure and an actual bhp dyno figure? I am sure you would like to know if your engine produces above or below that? Just adding some thoughts...

The real way to check is to have an organised shown down with other Z's at a reputable rolling road.

Yes, a power run day is a good idea - that way if the chosen road gives misleading figures, then at least it is comparable (although I think it'd be a struggle to get enough S30's to make it a worth while exercise).

....and show down sounds like a competition to see who has the most. Whilst I am interested to see who does (or rather what does), it's born from a genuine interest in the engineering side of things.

The 1/4 mile run will never be able to take into account differences in driver ability.

It's not that hard - maybe a little practice required, but on the principle that we are all driving enthusiasts as well as car enthusiasts I imagine most performance car drivers should be able to pull off a standing start.

I don't know about Charlie Boy's but mine is built so it does not need anything done ( say no head off to "check") to it (apart from say water pump change, which I consider a consumable) until it needs refreshed at between 90,000-100,000 miles and above.

In the end I backed off from the "big cam" because I didn't need the cost or hassle of a top end rebuild every year. So I am hoping that apart from regular oil changes and lifter clearance checks it shouldn't be temperamental. But I have ensured that reliability has been built-in, you can see this in the parts I have used.
I wouldn't like to state the mileage though......it'll take me 20 years to cover that !!

Rob, you have said what you bhp expect from your engine, is there much of a difference from an expected figure and an actual bhp dyno figure? I am sure you would like to know if your engine produces above or below that?

The expectation is based on the output per liter of similar spec'd engines. The car will be set up on rolling roads which have already tested other S30's, so it will form some sort of basis and be comparable against at least 2 other rolling roads.
I think brake horse power shouldn't be regarded as an exact figure, so if I end up with 290bhp for example (or even 270) I'll be happy that everything is in order from what I set out to achieve.
And besides, do you really think I'd know the difference when driving it ??

A quarter mile time based over an average together with the cars weight and a few sums will reinforce it all.

Yes, a power run day is a good idea - that way if the chosen road gives misleading figures, then at least it is comparable (although I think it'd be a struggle to get enough S30's to make it a worth while exercise).

....and show down sounds like a competition to see who has the most. Whilst I am interested to see who does (or rather what does), it's born from a genuine interest in the engineering side of things.

Rob agree, show down not the best use of words, I just want to see what is developing the most power, where it was developing it how, what parts where used in the build etc., ie. the engineering side like you.

As for the 1/4 mile times yes technique can be learnt but I have never done it before so I am not speaking from my own experience. At least a rolling road will be a nice get together and fun to see everyone and all these high engineered engines together.

Back