Troubles Ahead??

Nidge74

New Forum User
hey Z31 experts, (and others if they can help) LOL

I have been slightly but not too much concerned about my cooling on my Z31 non-turbo

During normal driving my temp gauge would climb to about 3/4 before suddenly dropping back down to around the 50% mark. I guess this would be the thermostat opening and/or the fan kicking in.

Coming home from Z008 I noticed that my gauge was getting to the 3/4 mark, and then blipping before dropping back to the half mark again.

After shutting the car down and sitting in stationary traffic for half hour, started up again, and two miles later the temp went just above 3/4 and popped the one hose that is the most awkward to get to. (short right angled hose from what I think is the thermo housing to the top elbow, stashed behind the cam cover)

I have ordered new hose and thermostat from MrF, but is there something else that I need to look for before I consider another long drive?

Mr.F

Inactive
Have you got the two radiator caps on the right places? Plain up top and sprung one on the reservoir...?
Dumb question but I have to ask - even the most experienced get them mixed up occasionally!

Nidge74

New Forum User
Yes Mike

I checked this after Silverstone when the question was asked of someone else.

Nothing had changed after 5000 miles, other than the temp rising and the hose going pop.

This is the first problem I have had with the car (other than the normal Tin-worm) without change to anything

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
If you haven't done already,then it's worth flushing the cooling system out....It's amazing how much crud settles in the radiator.
I spent an afternoon on my old Z31, flushing the radiator out...You could have built sandcastles with the sediment that came out!:D
I just kept topping up the radiator with a hose...then running the engine...then flushing out etc etc.Finished off with a good mix of antifreeze/coolant.

Nidge74

New Forum User
Thanks Jez

I have planned to do that when I replace the hose.

Hopefully there is nothing more serious neeeding attention (and money)

Mr Ex

Inactive
A new thermostat would be a good idea, they are cheap enough & if it is the original, it's probably past it's best.

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
popped the one hose that is the most awkward to get to.

I have ordered new hose and thermostat from MrF, but is there something else that I need to look for before I consider another long drive?

Take a close look at the the hose, is it perished, oiley,badley cracked and therefore the reason for failure?
If none of the above get the water system pressure tested as head gasket may be leaking and causing sudden pressure build up. After installing new stat, warm car up on idle and with palm of hand ensure even temperature on rad core, this would tell you if rad blocked as you will have a cold spot.;)

Nidge74

New Forum User
Having received the parts required ( thermostat and hose - Thanks Mr F)
everything was reassembled today with a view to a jaunt to Tatton tomorrow.

However, the damn thing now has no spark.

I have done all the usual
* Cleaned dizzy cap and arm
* Checked dizzy was reassembled correctly
* Jason checked feed from coil and is still hopping around the yard shaking and swearing. He got quite a jolt.

Without having a test meter with me at the time, I was unable to check for voltages etc.

So, when I do get a meter, what should I be looking for? And where?

What are the possible causes for lack of spark, bearing in mind that there is definitely power at the coil, and the timing and rotor alignment has been checked.

TIA

Mr.F

Inactive
Crank angle sensor (distributor) and air flow meter are the usual culprits for non-starting. For no spark also check coil and power transistor.

ECU diagnostic procedure used to be in Articles - can't seem to find it any more...

grolls

Well-Known Forum User
Having received the parts required ( thermostat and hose - Thanks Mr F)
everything was reassembled today with a view to a jaunt to Tatton tomorrow.

However, the damn thing now has no spark.

If it was ok before you took it apart, what has not gone back properly?

Nidge74

New Forum User
If it was ok before you took it apart, what has not gone back properly?

Everything went back properly.

However, when the hose popped it soaked the entire distributor assembly.

I didn't bother with the ecu diagnostic, IT'S STILL HERE MIKE

I had a spare dizzy lying on the shelf, so out with the old, in with the new and started on the button. :) Could do with checkin the timing tho as it was running a bit lumpy.

And having it running I am happy to say that there has been no further temperature worries, tha gauge reaching no more than 50% and fans kicking in nicely.

So hopefully it is now cured, just a shame it was a few hours too late for Tatton