The Journey Begins...

JakTheRuby

Club Member
Okay. So it's 2009. I'm gonna be 34 years young this year. I've got a missus and three boys. I still ride a push-bike...

Right then; that all changes as of friday this week. I've got my first driving lesson!

My nan bought me my provisional licence for me on my 17th birthday and other than losing it and having to get a photocard provisional to replace it, I've only ever sat in the other seats of all of the weird and wonderful cars I've been lucky/unlucky to get lifts in. I promised myself that before my birthday this year (late June), I will replace that provisional with a full licence. I'm pretty quick at picking things up, on an academic and practical level and can normally 'turn my hand' reasonably quickly (Jak of all trades, master of none...). I'm nervously excited about it. Whether it takes 5 or 55 lessons though, I will be a driver by late June. That'll be 17 years later than planned. Double what I'd envisioned. Can't worry. ROCK ON!

Wahey nice one! :D

Think of how you're fitter now though, if you hadn't ridden all those years and just drove. Plus all the money you've saved, might not feel like it but you're about 25k better off :D

However no looking back now! Let us know how Friday goes, it'll be a bit surreal no doubt but nice n warm n easy! :)

Good luck.

So whats the average number of lessons now before most people pass. I know when I took mine it was arounds 15 lessons/7.5hrs, but I think its harder now. I know I wouldn't want to have to take a test now.

a friend of mine who is a driving instructor recons the average is around 45 lessons and the driving test is changing again soon there will be no three point turns reversing around corners or parking, hill start, etc all being taken out but will still have to be signed off by a driving instructor the test will be about 45 min just driving in all sorts of traffic

I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing?

I took five weeks of two hour lessons, but I had been on the road on my 50cc bike for a year previously. Jakko has until June, which is say 5 months at 2 hours potentially a week = up to about 45 hours, definitely do able, and he's a super hero anyway!

I only had 16 hours of lessons, at a tenner a pop, but that was 17 years ago when the test was "drive around for 20 minutes, reverse somewhere, turn somewhere, answer two questions about roadsigns back at the test centre"

It's a lot tougher and a lot more expensive these days.

Best of luck SuperJakko, becoming a SuperDriver™

I was 17 on 31st of october and passed on 17th december, all I ever wanted to do was drive.... good luck.. I'm 34 years young too

I had 9 lessons and passed first time with a few minors.

Good luck buddy, hopefully your learning process should be as easy as mine :D

Took me 5 hours including the test itself. Only got a a couple of minors and a date that saturday night ... what can I say, the tester was cute and she had great legs :D

I had to take my test after being in the UK for a year (driving for well over 20 years on a Canadian License) Just one of those silly laws,,but I will say if I hadnt took 5 lessons there is NO WAY I would have passed LOL. It was funny really a nearly 40 year old man sweating bullets and shaking outside the examiners office haha. It will be much easier for you Super One ! You dont need to unlearn all your bad habits :eek: Best of luck and enjoy it !! :thumbs:

WOW! I've done it. I've driven a car. It was awesome! The instructor said I did very well (because I listened to what she said before doing anything). Smooth as a babies arse the whole time. I crossed hands (once) but that was it. I said that I'd set it as one of my resolutions to be driving before the end of the year and she replied that it's not gonna take that long at all. Next lesson on wednesday morning. WOW. No more walking to the outskirts of Nottingham (and forests thereabound!)

I've passed first time 3 times, Lol that'll keep you amused. Good luck and you'll love being in the drivers side.

Back