'Tablet' Security

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I've bought myself a 'tablet' to replace an old 'Notebook' laptop thingy.

I'm not familiar with these devices but I thought it about time I was. Recently I went on holiday without my Netbook or digital camera and got on fine with just my HTC 'phone however I was using an 'open' free WiFi facility and that worried me.

I went a bit OTT with the Tablet because I wanted a 10" screen (the phone was a nightmare) and also high resolution. It's a Samsung Tab S and cost me £300.

I use ESET security (after Johnny P's advice) on my PC and Netbook - it seems fine. Do I need the same on my tablet and I'm scrapping my Netbook so can I transfer it.

Secondly everything I try to use on the tablet e.g. Google, Chrome, Utube etc wants me to give away all my privacy so they can 'enhance my experience' and track my location etc. I'm not sure I want this but I don't want to limit myself (I need to learn about Apps!).

Apps - are these just a way of short-cutting access to sites I use and give me personalised pages? For instance if I use a Utube app will this take me straight to my account?

Tapatalk - when I come on the ZClub site it gives me a tapatalk option?

I know this is a massive subject and I should google all my questions but can you just guide me re security so I don't make mistakes from the start.

Anybody know a good 'idiots' guide or tutorial?

Rob, welcome to the 21st century ;)

DEFINITELY download the Tapatalk app, it makes things very easy especially photo uploads.

You do in fact give away privacy when you accept Ts&Cs on apps but you can also limit some of it.

I assume you have an Apple tablet, if so go to settings, privacy and turn off things, you can tap on location services and choose which apps have access to your location. No app as far as I'm concerned needs your location unless it's a mapping app.

Also go on ANY post iPhone 4s device to Settings>location services>system services>frequent locations and marvel / panic at the fact that it's tracked your every move and reported to Apple. Then delete the history and turn off frequent locations.

Whilst you are there turn off iAds and Popular Near Me. All designed to profile you and sell you stuff.

Rob, welcome to the 21st century ;)

I assume you have an Apple tablet....

Thanks, believe me there are people my age who won't even use a PC or can handle texts!!!! I wish my Dad could do those it would make his life so much more interesting in his Nursing Home.

No not Apple so an Android device - correct?

Post 1
Rob said:
I went a bit OTT with the Tablet because I wanted a 10" screen (the phone was a nightmare) and also high resolution. It's a Samsung Tab S and cost me £300.

Post 2
Smiley said:
I assume you have an Apple tablet....

You definitely bought the right one Rob, it beats the overpriced Apple POS hands down
Excellent screen as good if not better than the retina screen Apple offers
Dual processors
Expandable memory (Via MicroSd)
Multiple window
Fingerprint unlock
Thinner than an anorexic stick insect
And quick

Also get yourself the add on (Samsung) blutooth matching keyboard as well, its really neat, makes typing a whole deal easier and will help protect your £300 investment to boot.

One thing to add, if your ever using public WiFi, use a VPN connection (Virtual Private Network) public WiFi systems are a favorite haunt of data scrapers and jackers, using a VPN will forge an encrypted tunnel from your machine via the net to a node, nothings perfect but 128 or 256 bit encryption deters most and they move on, it also means you can get on with watching and downloading re runs of the good life etc without the Net police bothering you.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem with Tablets is that all the websites see you on a mobile device so drag you to a skeleton mobile website.. Hence I dont use Tapatalk and simply ask to reload all the webpages with normal webpages. I want to see the full website and not a spartan mobile-device one.
i only use Wifi and not simcards, so not so important with heavy web pages.

Only use ipads now.. Dropped dragging my laptop and its stupid heavy power supply around over a year ago.

Ipad mini is my preferred device but only as i then carry ONE charger around for the company ipad and Iphone.

I'm another ipad/iphone fan. I've watch others swap to the Samsung **** and then regret it. Each to their own I suppose. Love the network and remote access applications I use for work and the email Fascilities suits the way I want to work. I've setup a few Samsung devices for business customers and don't like the way samsungs deal with email different from all the others.

This is just my views of Samsung so don't want to get into a debate as to which is best as there will never be a winning, just different views from different people.

I don't Steve. Still on my original ipad. Just manage how much **** I keep on it. It's a bit like houses, sheds, garages, workshops really. You save **** to fill the space available. The more space you have, the more **** you save.

I don't Steve. Still on my original ipad. Just manage how much **** I keep on it. It's a bit like houses, sheds, garages, workshops really. You save **** to fill the space available. The more space you have, the more **** you save.

You'll be digging out that 128K Bernoulli drive next ;)

Damn you Apple fanboys, break the mold, dont follow the sandle wearing ponytailed masses :p:p:p:p:p

I had a couple of android phones before buying a used iphone 4s on ebay, a couple of years back, to see what all the fuss was about!
I have to say, they got me hook, line and sinker :eek:
I now have a 5s, there just so easy to use compared to other phones, for me anyways.
The missus had a windows phone until recently, what a pile o ***** that was, couldnt wait to bin it!
Not keen on the 6 and 6+ though, too big, i dont want anything bigger than the 5s in my pocket... ooeewww eerrrr

I remember when programmers were efficient in their use of space and code. Lemmings would fit on a 1.44Mb floppy with no problem at all and run really well on the most basic of 8086 PC's. Then the CD was born and everything got so much slower with the introduction of bloatware. I repair an old windows 95 base arcade machine a little while ago and had forgotten how quick the old stuff was compaired to the **** we have to live with now.

I use ESET security (after Johnny P's advice) on my PC and Netbook - it seems fine. Do I need the same on my tablet and I'm scrapping my Netbook so can I transfer it..................

Anybody know a good 'idiots' guide or tutorial?

Guys do I have to download a security system like I do with a PC? If so are they particular to a 'Tablet' or just any PC system will do?

If I do need something why don't phones need it?

Tablets generally run a different operating system (OS) to PC's as such you will need to install a new program (or app)

The Samsung Tab S runs "KitKat" which is just a codename for a version of Android, another is "Jellybean..... just mentioned in case one of the younger generation mention it and you can look cool when replying :thumbs:

You will definaitely need antivirus (as does any machine), I think the Samsung Tab S comes with Avast which is ok and will get you off and running in a safe (ish) mode, it has AV, firewall and some other goodies

As mentioned I would familiarise myself with VPN software if you are using public WiFi

Thanks Steve, that is useful info. for a novice like me - but I'm getting there!

I remember when programmers were efficient in their use of space and code. Lemmings would fit on a 1.44Mb floppy with no problem at all and run really well on the most basic of 8086 PC's. Then the CD was born and everything got so much slower with the introduction of bloatware. I repair an old windows 95 base arcade machine a little while ago and had forgotten how quick the old stuff was compaired to the **** we have to live with now.

Well said! Wow had forgotten Lemmings - lost much of my young life to it ;)

Early 80's, In the R&D department I "worked" in we aquired an Apple II, I got blisters typing in machine code or apple basic from Compute! magazine, then spending days debuging it just to play some ****** text based adventure game called "Pyramid of doom" (not to be confused with the nested indent problem)........"hit camel with spade"...."camel spits at you and kicks you to death".....oh the fun we had.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want security without virus software and constant upgrades, don't use an Android device .. use a Windows 8.1/10 device

if you want a high quality experience, but don't want fleecing, don't use Apple .. use a Windows 8.1/10 device

*simples*

Back