steering wheels

oz-ting

Well-Known Forum User
I am trying to find out if a 240sx and a 240z steering wheel are interchangable? or should I say will a boss for one fit another? Anyone know!!:conf2:

Mr.F

Inactive
In about 1984 Nissan changed the spline configuration on steering columns, so I suspect there will be no compatibility...

Mr.F

Inactive
Does that mean that a Z31 wheel into a 280ZX is not possible ?

I had to swap bosses with Cliff Pett when I had his 280ZX and he had my Z31 turbo. We both had the same steering wheel, but couldn't just swap the whole assembly...

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
So if I asked Uncle Ken nicely for a Z31 (facelift) boss and steering wheel, it'd go on my, sorry, Cathys' ;) 1981 280ZX ?

Mr.F

Inactive
No! It is the splines on the bosses which are different - 280ZX spline is in common with 240Z / 260Z; Z31 spline does not fit 280ZX...

What make wheel do you need to fit? I can get Momo style bosses for early Z/ZX and possibly Grant and Motolita versions. Also have a Momo to Grant adapter in stock if you have the boss for one and the wheel for another!

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
Alright - I don't like the 280ZX wheel and would like a leather one ! The Z31 wheel I had on mine ex-car would have been fine ! If you can suggest (by photos and price) some others, I'll consider ! Perhaps we'd better do that on your forum bit ?

Mr.F

Inactive
Have a look at wheels on http://www.zcarparts.com
They come as complete kits with appropriate boss and "Z" logo horn push - can add to any USA order. Beware, if you like leather, not all leather look will be real leather - sometimes Naugahyde...