SR20 - 240 Transplant

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Has anybody else seen this car in the April edition of Japanese Performance?

Looks a beauty and with 500 bhp it should fly!

So basically it's a Californian 240, modified by Vildini Motorsport. It has an S13 (4 CYLINDER!) turbo conversion, including Gearbox and 240SX DASH.

I would imagine it looks like Simon (TwoForty) has in mind for his car!

Kits available and shipping to UK possible.

Not sure if I go with a 4 cylinder in a 240 but the weight distribution is good as the engine sits behind the struts.

Worth a look in WH Smiths.

richiep

Club Member
Seems to be emerging as quite a popular conversion in the US, the SR20DET swap using the Vildini Motorsport cradle (or similar). Good weight distribution, lots of power available without necessarily having to go internal, also much cheaper to build up than an RB engine.

If the mrs ever lets me get a second Z and I figure out somewhere to keep it (need to build a garage for the other one first!!) I wouldn't mind giving this conversion a go.

Try looking at the video on youtube of a British expat in the US called Amir - he has a mental 260z 2 seater with an SR20.

In fact, here it is....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SmelhOoS1g

datsun dave

Club Member
Bought the mag yesterday and when i first looked at the car did think it was twoforty motor.

Nice neat conversion.

M

madmarco

Great engines but a Z needs a 6

Yea, the owner said he got some stick for putting a 4 banger in a Z. Have to admit it looks really good, and you cant argue with the power he's getting.

I also noticed the comment in the tech section saying that the 300zx has an image problem! Love mine to bits but the 240's seem to get more respect than the 300's...

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Madmarco, have you ever been in a 240?

I've never been in a 300ZX so I can't comment from experience but I think the weight of a 300ZX is the thing that limits its dynamics.

I can remember when both were new. The 240's shape and ability was a huge step at the time and was followed by competition success. People have never forgotten this.

The 300ZX was a great looker too (I thought it had Supercar looks) but any successor to the 240 is always compared to it and they will never be as light, nimble or simple to maintain. By the time a 300ZX becomes a real classic they may be too expensive to run.

Someone like PMac could comment here (he has experience of both).

M

madmarco

Cant say that I've ever been in a 240 but my mum had a 260 2+2. Maybe I can get a ride in one of the quicker 240 examples at Japfest! I think the 240 is recognized as a true classic sports car, but the 300 is a bit stuck in the middle between a sports and luxury model. I'm no expert, but since Nissan was going after the Porsche market at the time I believe they added more features which of course increased the weight. The 300 was never intended to be a no-compromise sports car, more of a sports tourer. Saying this they certainly succeeded as they won car of the year several times after release. Guess the best thing to do is just enjoy the ride and not worry what other people may think!