Spike Anderson camshaft

Paul Hutchings

New Forum User
I’m hoping someone can help with some advise on a Spike Anderson camshaft.

Having owned a 1979 260Z Samuri for the last 30 years with the last 15 of those years with the car in bits being slowly restored.

We are now on the last leg of the restoration, rebuilding the engine, one of the issues we have is how to time-in a Spike Anderson camshaft. I have attached a picture which shows some numbers on the end of the cam – which looks like (50A) ?

Does anyone have any advise, or could point me in the right direction to solve this problem.

Would appreciate any feedback

Paul

Attachments

• 20160222_134335.jpg
    20160222_134335.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 62

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
In case no one comes in with a more specific answer, I'd suggest get an adjustable sprocket, start off with max lift on inlet 1 @ 105 ATDC and then retard it a couple of degrees at a time until it goes how you want. of course, check for valve/piston clearance before you run it.

this may be some use - which is the specs of standard cams.
http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/cam/index.htm

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
1979 ?

Best option is to speak with Dave Jarman who's set up the last Samuris seen on the road and track 'recently'.

Anyway - 1st post on this form and asking for help - you could grace up with some photos of the car back when it was just 1x piece - please.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
I’m hoping someone can help with some advise on a Spike Anderson camshaft.

Having owned a 1979 260Z Samuri for the last 30 years with the last 15 of those years with the car in bits being slowly restored.

We are now on the last leg of the restoration, rebuilding the engine, one of the issues we have is how to time-in a Spike Anderson camshaft. I have attached a picture which shows some numbers on the end of the cam – which looks like (50A) ?

Does anyone have any advise, or could point me in the right direction to solve this problem.

Would appreciate any feedback

Paul

It's almost certainly going to be a "74degree" camshaft based on the works rally camshaft at the time. Tappets should be set at 0.006(inlet) and 0.008(exhaust).
Cam timing should be set at 4.2mm(inlet) at TDC.

Mr.F

Inactive
These mythical cams were ground from old originals and generally were not consistent in their measurements lobe to lobe.
Do you have an original Samuri drilled cam sprocket with this? The only way it goes back together as originally intended is if everything were marked up on dismantling. As a general rule of thumb I seem to remember being told they worked best set up around the #2 cam dowel position. If you have ever seen the back side of a Samuri "drilled" cam sprocket the idea of "hit or miss" literally springs to mind - sometimes with new holes half drilled into a previous attempt. There is no logic of the type seen in the Nismo version available where precisely drilled holes run in 3 degree increments from -12 to +9 degrees.
A modern adjustable cam sprocket will provide infinite adjustments across the range and doesn't require a full dismount for every adjustment:
large102042.jpg

As always with the Samuri product, you have to ask yourself whether you are recreating a '70s "man in a shed" special or bringing a classic performance Z kicking and screaming into the 21st century...

Paul Hutchings

New Forum User
1979 ?

Best option is to speak with Dave Jarman who's set up the last Samuris seen on the road and track 'recently'.

Anyway - 1st post on this form and asking for help - you could grace up with some photos of the car back when it was just 1x piece - please.

Hi Sean

Thanks for the info, will contact Dave Jarman.
Picture attached was taken at a track day at Goodwood
attachment.php

Attachments

• Goodwood.JPG
    Goodwood.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator: