shipping to the usa

ben240z

Club Member
hi , anyone have good contacts for shipping stuff to the usa. This is a bulky item that will have to be crated but wieghs about 40kg. Any advice greatfully received. ben

My advise is never send anything freight collect, where the person receiving the item is supposed to pay the postage. we did this with UPS the person receiving the itme gave us his UPS account details to use as the operator at UPS said that was what we needed. We sent fright collect for him to pay the postage bill. All ,OK by UPS. Than wham.......... We are still fighting a huge bill 12 months on that UPS whant us to pay as the person receiving the item never paid the bill. They said it was in the small print ( that you are not able to read as it is that small) that in the situation of freight collect if the receiver did not pay the bill then it is the responsiblity of the sending to pay the bill.
We were never told this in any of the conversation with UPS staff when organizinf the freight collect on the item nor were we told it when we were asked to sign the paperwork on the collection of the item.
The guys UPS account is still active and they are not and will not be chasing him fot the payment even though it was with his account that the shipping was arranged through....
BEWARE............
Double check everything.................

Ben,
I ship stuff around the world ( both imports and exports ) quite often as part of my work. Mostly it is back and forth between UK and Japan, or Europe and Japan, but I do occasionally ship to and from USA.

For a UK to USA shipment of something that size, I'd recommend PANALPINA:

PANALPINA WORLD TRANSPORT LTD
PANALPINA HOUSE
GREAT SOUTH WEST ROAD
FELTHAM
MIDDLESEX TW14 8NU
tel: 020 8587 9000

You'll have to remember that the actual weight ( you mention approx 40kg ) is not the only factor. You have to take into account the 'Volumetric Weight' too. To get an accurate quote, you will need the item in its crate so that you can get the dimensions........ They won't really want to talk to you until you have the thing boxed up and ready to go. If you have not packed it yet you will have to try to estimate the finished size and weight.

I think something of this size and weight will not cost all that much more to ship via Air than it would by Surface. Its only when you have very high weights or high volume that Surface ( Sea ) freight becomes efficient.

I think you will also find that pre-paying the freight cost on the UK side could well cost something approaching double the cost of a 'collect' payment ( consignee to pay ) in the USA. I find this with all my shipping charges; I even find that pre-paying freight charges from Japan to UK is cheaper than paying them here in the UK. The UK is one of the most expensive countries in the world, and the exchange rate from £STG to other currencies will really hurt your consignee....... If possible, try to get the freight charges charged outside the UK.

Good luck.

TNT International are probably the best deal in general shipping, but ideally a relationship with a smaller freight forwarder would bring the best price. I use MapCargo who have offices here and near most USA airports. The cheapest price will be to the nearest airport for customer clearing and collection.

We use Peters and May in Southampton for such shipping.

They can happily deal with anything from a small couriered package to a Maxi Yacht!!

Hugh

Back