Secure storing of a spare wheel in a 280zx

Ped

Club Member
I have never really trusted the luggage straps in the boot of my Z to stop the spare wheel from being flung around in the event of a shunt. So, if I am not traveling far, I have a can of tyre foam so I can leave the road spare at home. But when traveling further afield I feel I really should keep the spare on board.

The US spec cars had a space saver, but I wouldn't trust one of those even if I could get one (unless it was fairly new).

Anyway... in the floor carpet of the boot is a flap under which lies a threaded hole. I always assumed this was for a clamp to hold the road spare, but I have never seen one.

clamp1.jpg

The thread is M8 x 1.25. This seems to be a pretty standard thread used in spare wheel clamps in Jap cars of the 1990s. I had a look around the breakers ages ago, but none of the ones I looked at were suitable.

I found this on Ebay from a Toyota MR2 Mark 2 which has the right thread and the tread is long enough to chop about 22mm off.

clamp2.jpg

I feel a bit happier now that the spare is not go appear in my rear view mirror unexpectedly.:rofl:

clamp3.jpg

Sylv1

Well-Known Forum User
It is a good way to manage it

As a workaround, I have always a tube in my Z since I hurted one of the wheels