S14 gearbox rebuild.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I am in the process of attempting a rebuild with new bearings for my S14 gearbox as it whines in 1st 2nd 3rd and 5th and there is a noise when in neutral which I thought was the clutch release bearing but I think it was the input shaft bearing.
I started stripping my spare box and I removed the casing and noticed the the main shaft is twisted where it meets the prop.
Something to bear in mind when buying used gearboxes.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_223544.jpg
    IMG_20200123_223544.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 78
Not sure??? I presume it has had some power put through it.

I'd never buy one thats been out of a remapped/boosted car, its the torque that kills them, I'd looked at a couple which you could see had similar issues.

That's the thing with these S series gearbox's , they all need taking apart and checking over before you use them , there are pretty old and you don't know if they have seen any abuse over the years,

I'm guessing you couldn't see that on the shaft before you stripped it ?

That's the thing with these S series gearbox's , they all need taking apart and checking over before you use them , there are pretty old and you don't know if they have seen any abuse over the years,

I'm guessing you couldn't see that on the shaft before you stripped it ?
Yes, you could only see it once the rear housing section was removed

I'd never buy one thats been out of a remapped/boosted car, its the torque that kills them, I'd looked at a couple which you could see had similar issues.
The problem is that a lot have been modified and as with most things if they don't tell you when you buy it then your in the dark.

Stripped the gearbox down some more, got a set of bearings from USA so going to fit them but will probably get a couple of bits from the local Nissan dealer as I need some new nuts as the ones on the gearbox have to be peened.

Attachments

• IMG_20200125_083815.jpg
    IMG_20200125_083815.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200124_165108.jpg
    IMG_20200124_165108.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20200124_172846.jpg
    IMG_20200124_172846.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20200124_165024.jpg
    IMG_20200124_165024.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 74
How did you find out which exact rebuild kit you need? I got a gearbox out of a 1996 200sx (SR engine) and I am still not sure which one I need. On rockauto there are several kits availabe (I think the difference is the 1-2 synchro?).
I would like to buy a kit today just in case I ever need it. I'm always concerned that in a couple of years it will be much harder to find spare parts for our cars..

Jon it's part posh https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/152534811209
part homemade with 8mm threaded bar and a jubilee clip which makes all the difference

Rob the twisted output shaft is on my other gearbox.

Took a chance on the kit, not going to use the synchos as my gearbox shifted fine, it just whined so just using the bearings.
I will cross check the new synchros with my old ones and the bearings.

This is the kit I got https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/321642315111

But they do a kit with just the bearings

The gearbox i have, i believe is S13, do you know if the same kit would be suitable, Ive no idea what the difference is compared to S14, if indeed there is any?
I think it depends on the size of the front counter shaft bearing, you would have to remove the bell housing to check.

Been checking the kit I have and I think a couple of the synchros might be wrong but until I get it totally stripped I can not confirm this.

Hi Moggy, is your box still in bits? if so could you post a couple of pics please. I am trying to identify and then source a bearing that is missing from mine.

Hi Moggy, is your box still in bits? if so could you post a couple of pics please. I am trying to identify and then source a bearing that is missing from mine.

I've got some other's if needed Ben , I ordered new KOYO bearing's for mine , from simplybearings.co.uk , will see if i can dig out the numbers

Attachments

• DSC_1478.JPG
    DSC_1478.JPG
    279.5 KB · Views: 45
Back