S14 Conversion - Propshaft length?

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hi all,

A quick question to all of you who have completed the S14 conversion on your 240z. What length was your propshaft shortened to? Or what length did you get a new one made to?

My car is going in at the end of next week and I’m trying to get ahead of the curve on this one by ordering a new one or at least working it all out. I’ll be using an R180 diff still for with it’s worth.

Cheers, Mark

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I think 25mm shorter than standard.

See what John come back with.

Cheers Rob, do you know what the length of the stock 240z prop is for reference? Would be good to get a confirmation from several sources.

Also with your conversions did you shorten your stock props or have one made?

richiep

Club Member
For 72 onwards cars with the one piece prop with slip yoke end inserting into the gearbox: 50mm.

For 70-71 with the diff 35mm further forward, obviously 85mm. This is what my early 71 car has. My 72 project Dixie will need a 50mm shortening. In both cases, one starts with the later longer prop with slip yoke.

FYI, you need to have the slip yoke dust shield removed (easy).

I can get a prop shortened, balanced and painted for 40 quid cash down the road from me; it’s small fry for them - they have industrial props with u-joints bigger than your head in there!

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
I’ve read it’s not always necessary to cut the prop the full 50mm - there can be 30mm of slidey slack in the original anyway.

johnymd

Club Member
Sean - I payed £245 +vat each. Probably a bit high but that's southern prices for you. All the parts are new. I've used land rover 1410 joints.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
For 72 onwards cars with the one piece prop with slip yoke end inserting into the gearbox: 50mm.

For 70-71 with the diff 35mm further forward, obviously 85mm. This is what my early 71 car has. My 72 project Dixie will need a 50mm shortening. In both cases, one starts with the later longer prop with slip yoke.

FYI, you need to have the slip yoke dust shield removed (easy).

I can get a prop shortened, balanced and painted for 40 quid cash down the road from me; it’s small fry for them - they have industrial props with u-joints bigger than your head in there!

Thanks dude, really useful info!

So given I have an 09/70 car I’m assuming I’ll have the diff further forward meaning I’ll need to shorten my prop by 85mm to fit the new setup (subject to any slack as mentioned by John)?

Anyone able to advise the length of the early stock props? I’m out of the country and have no access to my car right now for reference.

Also can anyone advise any advantage of shortening the original vs having a new one made? I imagine either way the price will be dear in the SE of the country.

richiep

Club Member
The early stock prop is irrelevant as it’s not usable for the swap - it has a four bolt flange to connect to the gearbox not a slip yoke. You need a later one or a custom one.

On the point about not cutting the full 50mm due to slack, this is an area to be careful as cut too little and you’ll have a dog of a time actually getting it into position. Even with some play, you still need to get the slip yoke far enough in to the box to get the rear flange mated to the diff.

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
It’s worth searching and reading some of the threads on hybridz.org on all the variations.

Woody928

Events Officer
Staff member
Club Member
The early stock prop is irrelevant as it’s not usable for the swap - it has a four bolt flange to connect to the gearbox not a slip yoke. You need a later one or a custom one.

On the point about not cutting the full 50mm due to slack, this is an area to be careful as cut too little and you’ll have a dog of a time actually getting it into position. Even with some play, you still need to get the slip yoke far enough in to the box to get the rear flange mated to the diff.

Well this has been invaluable as I had no idea about the differences having just been told shorten it before!

Is there anywhere where it’s listed or does anyone know the exact spec of what I need to have made up?

From this thread I now understand that I need a new custom prop which has a slip yoke for the gearbox end, shortened 85mm less than stock due to it being an early car.

I am completely blind otherwise in this area so could do with any help on offer.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I shortened my prop by the amount I needed to due to the longer S14 gearbox. That's the advantage of doing things yourself. Same with the gearbox mounting. My prop was shorted in Coventry and cost £50 (about 10 years ago).