Rust in piece

In a similar vein, there's a red 260Z that's been sitting under a manky tarp at the back of a garage just outside London for well over a year (maybe 2?) It must be rotting under there.

I always wonder what the story is behind it when I pass it on the train.

In a similar vein, there's a red 260Z that's been sitting under a manky tarp at the back of a garage just outside London for well over a year (maybe 2?) It must be rotting under there.

I always wonder what the story is behind it when I pass it on the train.
You should go hunt it them down and ask 🤔😉

You should go hunt it them down and ask 🤔😉
I've thought of doing it many a time. The garage (more an MOT centre) is still in business so it would be easy to phone them up and see what they say.

At first I thought they were storing it for someone for a couple of weeks. But if they are 'looking after' it, then they aren't doing the owner any favours.

I've thought of doing it many a time. The garage (more an MOT centre) is still in business so it would be easy to phone them up and see what they say.

At first I thought they were storing it for someone for a couple of weeks. But if they are 'looking after' it, then they aren't doing the owner any favours.

I should imagine that the story is a familiar one, someone's taken on a project that they think will be easy, they get in to it and realise it isn't and it gets parked and left. It's a real shame but a sad fact of life, I bet the percentage of projects taken on and taken to completion by the original person is tiny, they are genuinely hard work at times, we all know that. That said it could be abandoned for something completely different.

Well said!

I was reminded yesterday as to why I fell out of love with my Z a few times - there is no such thing as a 2 hour job on our cars! Well, not if you want to do it properly Even washing the thing takes a good deal of time - if you wash a car lovingly and with care that is :p.

Yeah. This is partly why I've just sold my beloved E46 M3 and the not so beloved R53 Mini.. and why we've just bought a 2016 m135i. I had too much mental load with maintaining 2 old cars at the same time as restoring one ancient one!

Now I can focus on the Z and hopefully have relatively hassle free motoring with the new un.

Yeah. This is partly why I've just sold my beloved E46 M3 and the not so beloved R53 Mini.. and why we've just bought a 2016 m135i. I had too much mental load with maintaining 2 old cars at the same time as restoring one ancient one!

Now I can focus on the Z and hopefully have relatively hassle free motoring with the new un.

I can relate 😂 it's a balancing act and getting my M3 over the line and back on the road was a huge weight off my shoulders but then it's about maintaining that and then I have to juggle 2 little kids, keeping the wife happy (by not getting too bogged down in those 2 hour jobs like @AliK alludes to) and working full time. Projects eh, in my 30s I already realise I don't want to do another resto!

My then 5 year old son came to the garage to find me standing inside the engine bay prepping for the new engine. He looked at me and said:

“What are you doing!?”

Thinking he will be very impressed I said “Daddy is making it very clean and shiny come look”!

He looked at me surprised and said “Dad, isn’t that where the engine goes”?

“Yes darling”! Feeling proud he knew what should be there.

Then came the burn out of the mouth of babes: “I don’t think that’s a very good use of your time dad” and then wondered off with a look of utter disdain! The same look my wife gave me when she found the intake manifold in the dishwasher (and complained that the dishwasher smelled of old car)!!

Ps. It was a mistake on my part and a valuable life lesson was learned. Never put aluminium in a dishwasher, the detergent takes the shine off it!

Mate.. I don't even have kids so I can't really complain! I can't imagine how you'd get anything done even on one car! 😂
Try making that three classic cars, plus a 20-year old daily driver, on top of two kids and stuff for your car too! Although I’m sitting on a beach in Croatia right now so doing f all!

Try making that three classic cars, plus a 20-year old daily driver, on top of two kids and stuff for your car too! Although I’m sitting on a beach in Croatia right now so doing f all!
Love Croatia usually go each year. Where are you?

At least you're getting paid for one of those things 😂

Back