Project S131

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
Imagine if Nissan had stayed closer to the original Z design when creating the Z31...

OK guys... I'm spilling the beans.

As some of you know I've got a couple of Z31s. One is my daily driver that one will stay pretty 'normal'. With the other one however, I've decided to do something a little different.

I'm sure most of you are aware of the S30/S130 front end conversions done on the s13:

p1.jpg

280z.jpg

26864810005_large.jpg

I'm planning to do a similar thing but including the rear lights & mod the rear bumper too...

I'm sure the purists will hate it, I dont blame them, I know its wacky. I'm aware that this will take a lot of work as I do bodywork for a living. I'm going to need some help & advise from you guys too... there will probably be lots of peculiar questions I'll need to ask S(1)30 owners. I'm also going to need help sourcing a few parts. If you guys have any old broken parts I could use as mock-up pieces I'd be happy to buy them from you.
PM me. :thumbs:

I've wanted to do something ambitious for a while but money is always the inhibiting factor. With bodywork I should be able to do 90% of the work myself, at home.

More specific info to follow but for now...

Whats the verdict? :confused:

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
Ok guys... I've started to mock a few bits up & it looks like the headlights will mount pretty low in the nose. I've read that legally the headlight unit has to be at least 50cm from ground level. This info was in reference to kit cars requiring an SVA test so I'm not sure if the same rules would apply for an MOT. Hopefully its just a rule for newly registered cars.

Surely the average decked bugs lights are well below 50cm...
Bug13.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the issue? (see what I did there?)

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
I did a couple of drawings to figure out how it might look. Unfortunately I suck at drawing...

S131sketchfront.jpg

S131sketchrear.jpg

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
How about using a 280zx G nose style front bumper?.....

gnose01.jpg

gnose02.jpg

It gives you a whole new front end!.....
gnose08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
I like the idea - as stated - different is good ! Ask for what help you need, if I can - I will.

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
I do love the G-Nose but there are a couple of reasons I'm not using it. I like the big 'open mouth' look & my intercooler will get lots of flow from it. Also, it's going to be easier to make light scoops fit into the existing bumper rather than make a S130 bumper fit up to the Z31 wings & bonnet.
I'm trying to keep as much Z31 as possible so not to mess with the lines of the car too much.

I've got myself a pair of 280zx scoops/bolws/buckets/whatever you call them so its just a matter of cutting out the stuff that gets in the way. ;)

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Cool project, good luck!! A small openning which opens up to a large area would give better flow than a large openning but I agree with the "looks better"
The front spolier on the red one really suits it.

moggy240

Insurance Valuations Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ok guys... I've started to mock a few bits up & it looks like the headlights will mount pretty low in the nose. I've read that legally the headlight unit has to be at least 50cm from ground level. This info was in reference to kit cars requiring an SVA test so I'm not sure if the same rules would apply for an MOT. Hopefully its just a rule for newly registered cars.

Surely the average decked bugs lights are well below 50cm...
Bug13.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on the issue? (see what I did there?)

the SVA test is for unregistered cars as your car has allready been registered then this should not be a problem

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I've played with a couple of ideas & come up with this:
TPScetch.jpg

... dodgy sketch I know, but you get the idea.

The highlighted area will be one panel. Probably double skin in ally. It will bridge the gaps I'm left with after removing my existing headlights. This section of the car is surprisingly flat but I'll mount this panel a few mm lower than the final surface, skim with filler & high build primer it. I should achieve the slight curve that way.
At the moment I'm thinking I'll mount it with bonnet pins. That way its easily tweeked into position & it will also be nice to remove it when working on the car.