Project 200ZR

gazelle

Well-Known Forum User
Hi all, I haven't been on here for a while but after selling my R32 GTR I've free'd up some time/space to spend on the 200ZR so I thought I'd share with you what I've got in store for it (If all goes well)
I've owned this 200ZR nearly two years now but I've only driven it for 500 miles!!
This unfortunate occurance was due to a blown auto gearbox which happened 500 miles after
I got the car up and running/on the road and its sat dormant since.

I purchased it as a non runner with a cracked exhaust manifold, broken studs, a knackered turbo
and various engine parts in a box in the boot.

Before buying the car I did a bit of reaserch and fellow forum members found a few pics of the car from 2005 and 2006.
Turned out it was on the cover of the Summer 2005 Z Club Magazine and had a 2 page article inside!

200zrcover.jpg

theospec20zr.jpg

I've never posted any picture's of the car up since I've owned it so here goes!
Apologies for the poor picture quality from my phone!!

DSC00137.jpg

This was the day I purchased the old beast :)
As you can see in this pic it already has a custom stainless steel turbo back exhaust
system.

One of the bonuses of it being an import is the lack or rust!!!:D

Since getting the car back to its place of storage workshop I've:

Replaced the broken exhaust manifold and turbo.
Drilled out the snapped exhaust studs.
Fitted new manifold studs, gasket and turbo gaskets.
Replaced both rear leaking shocks.
Changed the engine oil.
Changed the coolant.
Fitted a Nismo panel filter.
Changed the plugs for some Ngk Iridium's.
Got some new hoses sorted.
Got an MOT :thumbs:

DSC00182.jpg

As you can see in this pic it came with an upraded ARC intercooler and a Blitz
Blow off valve and hard pipe.

DSC00183.jpg

The 200ZR went well for approx 500 miles without a hicup until one saturday
afternoon when testing out the LSD on a spirited drive the gearbox lost all drive with various nasty noises :(
After this episode it was recovered back to its place of storage and its been there ever since under its cover.

DSC00186.jpg

I had really lost all enthusiasm with it and was thinking of selling it to an intersted party
but then found some custon Leda coilovers for sale from an S12 Silvia turbo.
I'd heard that the Z31 shares the same suspension as the S12 so I went to check the coilovers out.
They turned out to be in excellent condition and pretty cheap so I snapped his arm off :D (Pics to follow)

I then started to look for some wheels. I Couldnt really decide whether to go for 16's
or 17's but then I fornd these which swayed my decision.

ssrs.jpg

16" SSR Mesh with fresh lips

Specs are:
16 x 8 , one pair ET0 and the other ET13
5x114.3 , these are pure dopeness :rofl:

Might have to use some spacers on the front to clear the calipers and carry out some arch rolling/flaring all round to get the desired fit but I reckon they'll go.

So with these on the way I'm also after some skirts and a front splitter.
These as far as I can see are standard oem items but I think finding them
is gonna be hard work:(
I'm also on the lookout for a pair of Cusco strut braces but nothing seems easy to obtain for Z31's!!!!!

These splitter and skirts have got to be done!!!!!!!

kittedz31.jpg

This is the stance I'm after, nice and low with a subtle splitter/skirt arrangement!

sweet200zr.jpg

Engine wise I was considering sticking with the RB20 and converting it to manual
but I've been thinking of going down the RB25 route which I reckon is best.
I've just got to find out whether the spec1 or spec 2 RB25 engine is easier/ better suited for the conversion from an elecrics point of veiw.
Then its just a case of sourcing a decent engine/loom/box package for a decent price!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JakTheRuby

Club Member
I remember the article well. Lovely motor and good to see someone with a bit of enthusiasm for something a bit different has picked up the ball and run with it. Welcome to the club matey!

Quagmire

Well-Known Forum User
I remember this car, nice to see it's in good hands.

PS the SSR mesh wheels are uber cool :)

ollyc

Well-Known Forum User
Welcome I look forward too reading more and seeing more lovely looking motor matey.

gazelle

Well-Known Forum User
I remember the article well. Lovely motor and good to see someone with a bit of enthusiasm for something a bit different has picked up the ball and run with it. Welcome to the club matey!

I've never seen/read the article but I'd like to.
I think the 200zr is a nice starting base due to its rareity, potential lack of rust due to being an import and the fact its already got an RB so upgrading to the RB25/26 is easier :)
Its just a pity it wasn't a hardtop which would have had a more rigid shell and of course a manual gearbox!!!!!

gazelle

Well-Known Forum User
Gazelle, whats the sitaution with the S12? I believe you bought my old CA18ET which had a T25 from the same guy who sold you the 200ZR...is the s12 still aound?

Sorry to go off topic;)

Datsfun, yes I did buy your old engine to stick in my s12.
I'd owned the car for seven years though previous to installing your lump so by the time I got round to finishing it I was bored with it and had too many cars so I sold it to a mate.
He now lives in Scotland and it was up for sale a while ago but I'm not sure where its at now.
It was really clean with only 64,000 miles when I sold it!!

Have you still got the Violet and the R30?

MCMLXXXV

Well-Known Forum User
dude thats sick!

epic choice of wheels!

hopefully my Z will finish soon.

Quagmire you're right, those wheels on Butter's blue Z are Watanabe's

gazelle

Well-Known Forum User
dude thats sick!

epic choice of wheels!

hopefully my Z will finish soon.

Quagmire you're right, those wheels on Butter's blue Z are Watanabe's

Nice one!!

I remember seeing your Z at MJP's yard, looks good.

Are you fitting those BBS split rims on it?

MCMLXXXV

Well-Known Forum User
Nice one!!

I remember seeing your Z at MJP's yard, looks good.

Are you fitting those BBS split rims on it?

I have different BBS splits for mine

genuine BBS LM's 17x10j rear and 17x9j fronts

my mate is doing a full refurb on 'em, he's taking his time lol

and I'm just waiting for my rear coilovers to come through, company just down the road from MJP does custom coilovers for any car for a very good price, so if you go down that route might be pretty useful!.

other than that only other news is that Banzai is showing interest in featuring it once I have it fully done :driving::thumbs: