Power gains

SeanDezart

Well-Known Forum User
300zx Widebody SWB N/A - Z Club Classifieds

Lovely car, shame to sell but will find a happy buyer.

What interests me is the stated power output. I thought that an N/A Z32 had 230bhp and not 220. But ok, if it did only have 220, lost some (10 ?) over the years and was r/r'd at 229, the claim is still less than 10% gained with all those goodies. Admittedly some (like the exhaust) would need replacing so why not with a performance version but it seems a lot of money and effort for not much gain............

Am I being too critical ? One can get over a 20% gain on a 240 for instance with a cam, dizzy and ex. manifold change..... -£1000.

300zx Widebody SWB N/A - Z Club Classifieds

Lovely car, shame to sell but will find a happy buyer.

What interests me is the stated power output. I thought that an N/A Z32 had 230bhp and not 220. But ok, if it did only have 220, lost some (10 ?) over the years and was r/r'd at 229, the claim is still less than 10% gained with all those goodies. Admittedly some (like the exhaust) would need replacing so why not with a performance version but it seems a lot of money and effort for not much gain............

Am I being too critical ? One can get over a 20% gain on a 240 for instance with a cam, dizzy and ex. manifold change..... -£1000.

There are not many gains to be had from the stock VG30DE. 10% seems fairly typical for its Mods, taking into account age/mileage. Its mods are the usual bolt-ons, and I dont think I've seen much more than 240 from similar setups. Such numbers can easily vary from dyno to dyno though.

The fact that you benefit from larger gains on the 240z only shows inefficiency of its stock parts.

Ofcourse its not all about Peak power. The modifications would of seen an increase in Response and willingness to Rev - Breathing some extra life into the engine even if Peak HP gains are not that impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Point taken on 240Z stock parts..........particularly the exhaust manifold !

More response and torque perhaps from these Z32 upgrades than outright power gains ?

Back