Nitrogen in Tyres

datsun dave

Club Member
Having my new tyers fitted to my new set of rims tomorrow for a extra cost they can fill them with Nitrogen

Does any body run Nitrogen in there tyers ?
Any good points ?
Any bad points ?

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
Seen it advertised, and read some reports in rags.
Sort of understand that it gives better distribution of heat as tyre heat builds up during use, theory being single gas no differing thermal rates, so even heating of the tyre; bit that gripes me is nitrogen's 79% of the air we breath, so they really are only shifting 20ish% of other gases, don't know the chemistry of O2 and N2, but for my money I'd use air and by a pint with the change.

Also it ain't on the service station forecourt for a top up.

I do admit that i got involved in similar theory whilst diving (especially in cold UK quarries) for deep long duration cold dives with long deco stops we'd use pure argon in a small (1litre) cylinder to inflate our dry suits, it offered better thermal properties than the compressed gas mix we breathed, and it certainly came as a shock to the body if the argon ran out and you had to swap back to main gas supply:eek:

Nigel:)

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Having my new tyers fitted to my new set of rims tomorrow for a extra cost they can fill them with Nitrogen
Its not wotz in the tyres(please note correct spelling for future use!!) that matters. Its wot tyres you have.;)

:D :D :D

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
:280Z: it also stops moisture and helps prevent corosion of alloys as oxigen free nitrogen absorbs 50% of any moisture in the tyre its put in

martin w

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Ok, so how do they purge out the "air" so you are just left with "nitrogen" ??

Seems to me there will always be some air in it.

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
:280Z: you blow them up with the valve core in this stops them inflating to soon thus getting rid of air first when tyre is on and sealed you let it down and re inflate with nitrogen

martin w

rich Zed

Forum User
evtech said:
I do admit that i got involved in similar theory whilst diving (especially in cold UK quarries) for deep long duration cold dives with long deco stops we'd use pure argon in a small (1litre) cylinder to inflate our dry suits, it offered better thermal properties than the compressed gas mix we breathed, and it certainly came as a shock to the body if the argon ran out and you had to swap back to main gas supply:eek:
never used Argon myself, I usually just run the suit inflation off my low O2 mix.. can't be doing with extra bottles.. but then.. I do use 10l side slings for my deco :)