New to site

asbojohn

Club Member
After lurking for a while thought I should introduce myself and the new toy.

Lots to do and and I'm not sure what direction I'll take it but he it is my 73 240Z

P1030126_zps1efc1562.jpg

P1030125_zps92f49f8d.jpg

P1030129_zps07a490e5.jpg

Hope you all wont be too harsh when I start asking questions.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Good looking car.

First of all don't worry about which direction just get it running.

You have 260Z carbs which are not worth bothering with so get a set of 240Z carbs.

pmac

Well-Known Forum User
Hope you all wont be too harsh when I start asking questions.

looks like they have started before you have asked any questions.........................

You have 260Z carbs which are not worth bothering with so get a set of 240Z carbs.

Says who????
This is a 73 US spec car which has the correct carbs for its year fitted as far as I can see.
its probably been running like that for the last 40 years.:bow:
So telling a new forum member and paid up member that he has the wrong carbs fitted and needs to change them after his first post is hardly going to encourage him to be an active forum member.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Nice toy!! Body looks great. Looking forward to reading about it! So are you thinking original or hybrid?

My 260z came with the 240z carbs so can't comment on how good/bad the flat tops are, but having replaced them for the Z-therapy remanufactured/reconditioned ones (on recommendation of another member), I can definitely recommend them if you choose to stick with twin SUs and your budget allows. The car is night and day better running.

Is this the ex-nun owned car we saw for sale a few months back?

Ali K

Dale

Club Member
Welcome to the club John. And what great taste in cars you have! :thumbs:

Well, the way I see it, if it's a recent dry state import then you have a solid car with little or no rust and it also doesn't have a sunroof, so a car plenty can be envious off (like me ;)).

Do keep the pics coming and get those questions asked :D

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
............This is a 73 US spec car which has the correct carbs for its year fitted as far as I can see..........

Well there you go - shows how much I know even after 20 years of Z ownership! :eek:

However Pete you are the one who has said for a long time that 'flat-tops' make good boat anchors!:

Probably this is not the advice you want, but I just throw the emission type carbs away( i must have scrapped 6 sets). Try and find a useable set of 240 carbs or get some 1 3/4 SU carbs and fit them to your 260 manifold. A little fabrication required but not rocket science.
I know some one will post up saying they have a set of 260 flat tops that run really well, but the other 99 sets(out of 100) are useless.
Just my opinion, of course, based on my experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:

johnymd

Club Member
Great looking car. I'd run it just the way it is. Smother the underside with waxoil and use it as a daily driver. Wouldnt even bother cleaning it. May lower it just a little and possibly change the wheels but keep the rest the same.

I've seen a lot of people say flat tops are no good but why? The SU is such a simple carb I cant see why one type would be that bad.

johnymd

Club Member
Top rad hose could do with replaceing :)

PS. I've got a set of SU's and manifold if you're interested. Open to offers.

asbojohn

Club Member
Blimey I wasn't expecting to kick off after my first post ;)

Its off to get the engine looked over next week and I'll start making some decisions then.

At the moment I fancy leaving it as it is once its running as I'm, not a great lover of polish but who knows.

Johnymd, I might come back to you on the carbs once its had a proper look over.