If You Didn't Have A Z......?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nmd14

Club Member
Hi All,

I love my Z and am well pleased I bit the bullet.

Out of interest, if you guys didn't have Zs (or are lucky enough to to have more than one classic), what other car would you buy?

Friends of mine are obsessed by 911s but you see them everywhere.

uk66fastback

Club Member
You're in the smoke though, where'll you see £60k classic 91 Porsches rolling through the West End! Not seen a lot in this neck of the woods, although I did see a nice orange 911T from the 70s last year in our village!

Not sure whatI'd have, maybe some 60s Consul or something. Column change, bench seat etc

Jake RAH

Well-Known Forum User
1962 kellison J6 panther
1966 XJ13 Jaguar
1967 shelby mustang fastback gt500
1968 Toyota 2000GT
1970 Lamborghini Miura
1972 chevrolet corvette stingray
1973 mustang fastback mach 1
Aston Martin One-77

I think top of my list would be the kellison J6 panther.

SacCyclone

Club Member
Lucky enough to have several other classics that all need my attention and money for the next few years at least.

Mick Cliff

Well-Known Forum User
Ultimate classic?
1960's Ford GT40....

I'll never realise that dream now, way too old (me, not the GT40!).

Scratched the Porsche itch for 18 years though
1972 911E Targa
1984 911 3.2 Coupe
1972 911 RS replica (everything RS except the chassis number!)
1968 912 (probably the best, could drive in 'hooligan' mode and not kill yourself :D)
1957 356 Speedster replica (Apal)
1972 911T
1971 911R replica (ex 911E, 250bhp, 860kg)

Remember, with Porsche 911's it ain't acceleration, it's violence :thumbs:

Currently...
1972 240Z - probably the most visually satisfying car i've owned
1991 Mercedes 500SL - top down effortless cruising
2007 Fabia VRS diesel shopping car

johnymd

Club Member
The 240z has always been the ultimate for me. It is universally loved by all and such a timeless shape. I'd feel like a knob if I had something expensive/flash. No matter how good a 240 looks, it never looks flash. I have also started to prefer the "used" look that's a little tatty. Often called the survivor look.

I've got myself a couple of 911's so that's ticked that box.
Just need to find myself a tatty looking Volvo P1800ES to smoke around in. Burnt by the Californian sun and looking like I don't give a 5hit and I'm done.

Was bidding on this one but it went for over 5k so a little too much for me.

Attachments

• P1800es.jpg
    P1800es.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

toopy

Club Member
Early Dodge Charger all day long for me, too expensive now though unfortunately :(

Would consider other early 70's American muscle cars, if im going to have a second classic i want it to stand out from the crowd, big, loud and screw the fuel costs! :driving:

zNathan

Well-Known Forum User
Toyota Celica RA28
Toyota Corona ('76 - '80)
Mazda RX7
Datsun Sunny Pickup

It will happen one day.... They will not be standard :devil:

johnymd

Club Member
Still tempted by a 60's mustang notchback. Never really liked fastbacks and the notchbacks are sooo much cheaper. Looked at a good solid original one a month or so ago. £7k delivered to the UK. Still regret buying it.

Attachments

• mustang side.jpg
    mustang side.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 35
  • mustang interior.jpg
    mustang interior.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 25
  • mustang engine.jpg
    mustang engine.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 25

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Bristol 410 or 411 for me. If someone offered me a straight swap for my Z, I might take it :)

1280px-Bristol_410_1968.JPG

By Charles01 - Own work, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7339146

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
a 60's mustang notchback

One of the worst cars I've ever owned for steering and handling - but nostalgically still a pleasure to have owned. Also had a '69 Mach 1 Mustang but without power steering, so nightmare to park!
Best USA classic ever - '68 / '69 Pontiac GTO - would still love a "Judge" edition...

Gaz 300

Well-Known Forum User
Always wanted a 911 targa (993) But also have a soft spot for a Volvo 240 estate. I had maybe 4 of these estates at different times when the kids were growing up and just love them. Not many good one's left now.

Nmd14

Club Member
Always wanted a 911 targa (993) But also have a soft spot for a Volvo 240 estate. I had maybe 4 of these estates at different times when the kids were growing up and just love them. Not many good one's left now.

Agreed....if I ever went down the 911 route, a 993 targa would be near if not at the top of the list.

Nmd14

Club Member
So no-one is suggesting an Eagle lightweight E-type?!

£750k odd but the one at London CCS looked stunning.

andrew muir

Club Member
Still tempted by a 60's mustang notchback. Never really liked fastbacks and the notchbacks are sooo much cheaper. Looked at a good solid original one a month or so ago. £7k delivered to the UK. Still regret buying it.

Ohh Johny I don't think you would like one, drove a few in Oz, slow, heavy, dont handle or stop!!:eek:

richiep

Club Member
As mentioned in another thread, air-cooled 911s are of interest to me. A 911SC coupe backdated and resto-modded by me to taste (RSR style) with the outlaw/Magnus Walker vibe would do.

Or a KGC10 Skyline GT or GTX with the obligatory GT-R restyling.

Or an RA25 or RA28 liftback Celica. Practically, this is the most achievable (although they are super rare) and the one car that would stop me doing a second Z project. I missed a good one a few weeks ago in Manchester, which was a pain (one of those cases where picking up the phone rather than sending an email would've been the right thing to do!).

Status
Not open for further replies.