Hi NEW to site, Just Bought '88 300zx N/A

DR1VER

Well-Known Forum User
Hi
Just found this site, I bought a 1988 300ZX non-turbo auto on monday and I love it, its the best car i've owned. Here is a little info about the car:

Auto
Genuine 72000 miles
Loads of history
Full respray 5 Years ago
interior like new
no rust
Peco exhaust
Gasflowed head
re-shaped valves
Injection system re-mapped
est. 200BHP
Koni Shocks
Origional polished wheels in Perfect condition

How much do you guys think its worth?

I'll try and get some pics of it on the site at the weekend.

Thanks

Richard

Hey Driver ! Good to see you on the site ! You are exceptionally lucky in that you have the same car as me ,,cept mines a 2+2 ,,,:unsure: How in the name of all thats holy did you get 200 brake out of it? I managed a little more than that, but with a mild nitrous kit.Then the tranny went boom :eek: Do you have any ideas as to the shop that done the work etc?? Anyway welcome to the site ! Join the club! It's well worth the £'s and keep an eye on the autobox,,,,they are a weak link. Many trans fluid changes later and still exploded it ! LOL :D
As 2 what it's worth, dunno. I do know that it's never a good thing to buy this type of car , regardless of make or model as an investment. I have gawd knows how much into mine and it's in bits in the garage at the moment, and I figure I'd be lucky to get £ 1000 for the ol girl with all the bits I've got including 2" lowering kit all round and the nitrous injection ! Don't let that get you down though ! I love mine and it should be back in action early spring ! :rolleyes:

HI
The auto box was replaced at 48000 miles which i'm hoping gives me a little extra time. I have documentation from when the engine work was carried out and the results show a 30bhp increase over the standard 167 bhp. The work was carried out by a place called GreenLight. Not sure if they are still going but they are in Essex i think. Mine is a 2+2 also.
Also if there was one modification that is a must for a Z31 what would it be?

Thanks

Rich

the first mod you should do to the car and its most important..... a little z club sticker for the rear window ( ya get these when ya join the club....lol).....welcome to the z world and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Hi,

Welcome to the site and Z31 ownership!...Look forward to seeing some pictures of your car.
Perhaps Mr F has heard of the tuning company in Essex?
Cheerz,
JEZ

I think the most noticable improvement I made to mine was the front brakes,,,went with a brembo 4 pot setup and what an improvement !! :eek: I have access to a machine shop so getting them to fit wasn't to bad . Plus of course the lil Z-Club sticker in the back window !:D :D
Reid. :Z31:

snap

Im fairly new to this site too and have the same car, same year etc. im converting it to a manual, does anyone know if my auto prop will fit the manual box?????????. Ps. Good on ya for adopting another z, someone has to look after them.They are a unique motor and very few people have one, so no matter what its worth be proud to be an owner.
icon7.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Dr Shemp ! I would say probably not to your auto shaft fitting the manual trans, although Mr F would have more knowledge of this. Be that as it may it's not hard to shorten or lengthen a prop shaft given a decent welder with proper equipment etc ! :)

Dr Shemp

How far have you got with your auto to manual conversion? i am doing the same and have removed the auto box, fitted the pedal bank and am having a problem with getting the wedding ring in its position and also have a problem with the propshaft i will post again on sunday evening as im gonna have another go over the weekend.

Welcome chaps to Z31 land, of fun, comfort and great advice !

One 'must' improvement on the 31 is to add a turbo - no ? Otherwise, better shocks ?

Just how much extra is gained by a Brembo kit exchange and is it a right bitch to do ?
Sean

$$$ ?

hi Neil, havnt actually started yet as its my only car and cannot start the work until i sort out my prop shaft issue. By "wedding ring" I assume you mean the spiggot bearing in the end of the crank shaft.The best way ive found of getting these out on other cars is to fill the hole with grease or vaselene and bang something tight fitting in there forcing the little bugger out with good old hydraulics. However this is a nissan were talking about so maybe if you leave it exposed for a couple of days it might just rust itself out.What problems you having with the prop??

Hi

Thats just what i've done today its been pi**ing me off for weeks cos i could'nt get it out and a friend of a friend suggested it today and within 20secs it was in my hand, shame you did'nt read my post to Mr F you could have told me that last week and i could have been nearly finished now, never mind. Propshafts, hmmm i cant get my auto prop to fit the manual box so i got the prop off the gearbox donor car i think they are slightly different splines. btw are you a mechanic? what other mods have you done? or are going to do. Yes "wedding ring" brass bush for input shaft, if you check out the post to mr f there is a piccy cos on mine there is a bush that has to come out before the brass one can go in

Regards

Sean

I've got koni adjustable shocks on mine and handling is greatly improved, i've been told to fit a turbo is to much money and aggro. bigger throttle body is a must on a n/a so im told as for brakes i have'nt been down that route yet

regards

Neil

Glad you got it out, I had the same trouble once and was tearing my hair out until someone told me about the grease, neat little trick!. Im not a mechanic but prefer working on my own cars because even if it takes a little longer i know its been done properly. I have little trust of garages and dont know of any that id trust with my ZED. My car is pretty standard with the exception of a straight through tail pipe and alloys. Its very loud and a constant source of annoyance to the police ( I have been warned ).I recently got a complete running donor car which i totally stripped with the exception of the manual prop ( what a prat ).Ive got its engine on the bench and when funds allow am planning to do a basic rebuild with some work on the top end to improve flow and then when she's under the bonnet, perhaps a 100bhp nitros kit. But the main concern is the gear box as my auto is showing signs of terminal failure

Last edited by a moderator:
Back