Frank Bruno's Z31?

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
Hi folks,

I've been told that one of my Z31s was formally owned by Frank Bruno.

Its a Black '88 manual turbo, reg: F600 OYM

I has a very old looking pair of novelty leather boxing gloves hanging from the rear view mirror.

It used to reside over in Essex.

I'm going to write to the DVLA & request the names of the previous owners but they have no obligation to tell me.

Any info or clues greatly appreciated... Know what I mean 'arry?

Mr.F

Inactive
The Z31 owned by Frank was originally modified by Ken (then ZXtra) and myself back in the Nineties. It was the donor car for the spring uprate pattern that we use to this day, had Koni shocks all round, an American boost tap controller (large plastic locking adjuster), K & N Filtercharger kit and HKS adjustable pop-off valve in place of the standard item. Black with leather, standard late model rims.

It came back to me when the original owner had finished with it, looking a little the worse for wear paint-wise and on some truly dreadful budget tyres. I bought it back, tidied up a few things and got it MOT'd. Frank was into the Z32s at the time and had two autos (one red. one pearl white). He saw the Z31 in my yard and decided it would be ideal for him to get used to driving a manual again. It was taken to his place (which at the time was only just round the corner from me in Standon Massey where he drove it on site only, abandoned it in the middle of his tennis court with the windows open and lost the keys! This was at the time when he was having his rather public breakdown.

Ken (by then ZXS) bought it back from the Bruno estate and sold it on again - as far as I can remember, it went up to the Cheshire area and I lost track of it. Sadly I can't recall the registration number and I'm not sure whether Frank ever officially registered it in his name. but if any of the above fits the car you have, then it is probably the same one...

Frank used to visit here regularly at the time and was a avid impulse buyer - he often had to be disuaded from buying stuff you knew he would never use! He has now moved from this area, but I still hear from him occasionally.

MattDaKav

Well-Known Forum User
Wow... Thanks very much for the info.

The car I have has all of the modifications you mentioned. Looks like its the same one.

tali

Well-Known Forum User
I recall Bruno's red G reg Z32 on ebay few years back.Later on @1992 he had a new Merc E36 cabrio -one of only 14 ever sold into UK.
He started to impulse buy again when he had his recent problems and had loads of unused cars in his drive it is claimed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr.F

Inactive
The red Z32 went to another guy who was working for Frank, came back to me (in a pretty poor state) and was sold on (via eBay) to Ireland. It was refurbished and subsequently toted loudly as "ex Frank Bruno" car...

The subsequent owner of the pearl white Bruno Z32 (who did loads of work on it and then sold when he left for Spain) would be interested to hear of its whereabouts as he would like to buy it back....

Mr.F

Inactive
The subsequent owner of the pearl white Bruno Z32 (who did loads of work on it and then sold when he left for Spain) would be interested to hear of its whereabouts as he would like to buy it back....

Reg. number AHZ 4248 - previous owner back in the UK and would love to be re-united - any one know where it is...??

tali

Well-Known Forum User
Frank just does not look right in this pic
FRB1.jpg