Ebay Tip's......

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Hi All,
I'm getting quite settled into Ebay & would like some Tip's,Help &
experienced advice on :
How to maximise selling a Z............
what things to do or not to................
Idea's on Reserve prices & starting prices..........
Any other helpful Tips that may result in a positive Transaction...
What fees are charged for selling a car.

All help would be appreciated,especially from anyone who has:
Advertised
Sold a Z on Ebay. ThankZ DJZ 60.:cool:

Mr.G

Club Member
* Choose the 10 day listing option - it doesnt cost any extra and will give your item the maximum exposure..
* Ensure there is no spelling mistakes in your item for sale's title, eg DATSON, as no one will see it when they do a search
* Give a good description of what your selling and ensure your auction has good pictures of your item, this really does help.
* Give the buyers an option to view the car prior to the end of the sale. In fact encourage it
* The fees go on a percentage of the sale of the vehicle, I think - it's been a while.
* I think it helps with a low starting bid as it gets people interested, but make sure you set a reserve (the lowest amount you are willing to take) as someone might get a great bargain and you will be dissapointed.
* Warn any jokers/tyre kickers/dreamers not to bid, this usually does away with them.
* Accept CASH on COLLECTION of vehicle. Make sure they dont haggle once they collect it. Once they've won it on ebay thats the price they should pay. (if they dont like the car they shouldnt have bid on it or they should have viewed it like you advised in your description).

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Hi George
Thank you for that. I am considering putting my Z on Ebay & want
to avoid any problems.I want to get everything right,before I do.
cheerzzzz DJZ 60.:rolleyes:

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Exactly! I want to avoid 'fruit pastille's' like him :D
(p.s George On 'Another one bites Thread it looks like you've posted an empty
post?) DJZ 60.

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Yup I reckon George has got it pretty well covered. Clarity and simplicity all help!
Say that the car is advertised elsehwere (even if not) then if any viewer comes along and offers you money on the spot that you're happy with, you can pull the Ebay ad and any bidders on it can't moan to Ebay misManagement.

Anyway, what do you think you're up to thinking about selling your Z?!! If you haven't got a Z, how am I going to extort £5k out of you for my wheels?!! ;)

Cheers,
Rob

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
I've been watching a few Z's for sale on ebay over the last few months and I don't think any of them have actually sold!
The reasons have either been that they haven't met the reserve price, the seller has withdrawn from the sale, only to readvertise some weeks later, or the winning bidder hasn't come up with the money!...And the car has been relisted!
I would try selling through the Z Club to an enthusiast first....That's how I sold my 300ZX!

Cheerz,
JEZ

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin W

Well-Known Forum User
:S30: always make sure your add ends on a sunday at a good time ie mid eve this is because you will get more people watching at this time include pics that you would like to see if you were going to bid on a car yourself give all the positive things first this will get them hooked on the car first if you have low feedback this could hold down the price a bit?? look at other people with high poz feedback and see how they make adds up this will help you on your quest for a good sale. ps dont let people with less than 10 poz feedback bid on you items untill you get all there details ie address landline tel on and full name when they give you there tel no ring it to see if its them. iv got a car on ebay now have a look if you like its under my Z id its a bmw 520i
hope this helps a bit

spagit147
260z 2+2

Last edited by a moderator:

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
* Ensure there is no spelling mistakes in your item for sale's title, eg DATSON, as no one will see it when they do a search.

Nice idea... but I'd also add incorrect spellings as many people searching won't get it right first time :)

* Give a good description of what your selling and ensure your auction has good pictures of your item, this really does help.

Yup, the more info the better. Add as MANY photos as possible... I mean really go overboard, if people can see every inch of the car, they are more likely to blind bid (bid without seeing the car in the flesh)

* Warn any jokers/tyre kickers/dreamers not to bid, this usually does away with them.

Just delete bids from buyers who have a less than 5 rating... unless they contact you first with a phone number etc...

:)

Mr.F

Inactive
Successfully sold a Z32 on Ebay last week - been offered for months with Z Club and 300zx.co.uk without a sniff. Got over 1000 views on a 7 day auction and sold for £150 over reserve price.

Generally I find Ebay to be really slow bidding on stuff like this and then goes ballistic in the last few hours (or even minutes / seconds when buyers use sniper software to place bids) - a 10 day auction only serves to prolong the agony! If no one sniffs in 7 days then you are selling something that no-one wants at this moment in time.

Judge progress by the number of watchers and keep looking at the actual bidders - you may find that only a couple of interested parties generate a lot of bids. It's not always separate individuals. Beware the novice bidders who may not understand the Ebay rules, particularly in the respect that "a bid is a contract to buy". If they have low brownie points on Ebay they won't care about negative comments when they dump you and leave you with no sale - some sellers require previous contact with low rated bidders to establish their genuine intention.

Expect potential Ebay motor viewers to let you down on promised viewing just as often as normal punters answering a magazine or newspaper ad.

Beware the Ebay scammer - "My brother owes money to a cousin in your country. I will send you funds for your car and enough to pay him also. Then when you have transferred his debt we will come over from xxxxx and collect your wonderful vehicle which I am very much forward looking to own..." not! Cleared fund are not always as clear as you might imagine - talk to your bank and discuss their policies before accepting money transfers from customers you don't know.

Ebay will charge you: a) to place the ad, b) a reserve price fee (refunded if item reaches reserve but charged if it does not), c) 3.something% of the sale price once the deal is done. PayPal will charge you a further 3.something% of the funds transferred to you via their payment system. Figure these charges into your reserve! You are not allowed to say you will charge the buyer the fees!

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Also watch out for charges when you put in lots of pictures. HOWEVER, if you link to an outside source such as www.photobucket.com I believe you can use as may pics as you want without incurring any charges.

adrianfr

Well-Known Forum User
I have been selling some of my Snap ON collectible stufff on e bay recently, see item no 6565907165, a computer whiz kid friend of mine did all the banners and stuff for me and all the pics are on his own web page so they dont cost anything to put up, hence lots of pics. Adrian

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Top class tip's ! So far, covering a lot of aspect's which I would have certainly
overlooked. I find Ebay's auto-catagory search sometimes does not alway's
'place' the item in the right catagory slot.... DATSUN or NISSAN ?
I have sold a couple of quid item's for 20 or 30 pounds & item's
worth in their hundred's have only realised a few quid,therefore my concern
on advertising a car which,If you don't sell leaves you with a whopping bill!
Great hints & Tip's Thank's everyone, I am thinking of selling my Z
only because I don't have time anymore to drive?enjoy it (40 miles per annum)
I will put it on this Forum (after busy weekend) & then progress
I Love my Z but ,can alway's buy No: 5 when withdrawal sets in.
Keep tips coming, It will help others as well.
Regards DJZ 60.:)

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
dj master..i sold 2 classics on ebay and am now a master at it....I'll post more wen i got time mate!

si

Tony 260Z

Club Member
I'm planning to do loads on ebay, I just haven't had the time yet.

Soon, soon.....

(one day Rodney, we'll be millionaires!)

DR1VER

Well-Known Forum User
- Make sure your starting price is quite low so you get a few people bidding on it from the beginning.
- I'd go for the 10 day listing because even though there may be no action for the first 4 days or so it increases the chance of people seeing it.
- Give a really good and accurate description otherwise you'll get 40 e-mails a day from people asking wether its a facelift or how many seats its got.
- The photos arent expensive so use them all (12) and go for the 'Supersize' option
- If your selling a 260Z there's no specific category so 'Other Classics' is the one most people go for.
- Make sure all the key words and variations are in the title, I've just put my 300ZX on there so i've got 'Nissan 300ZX 300 ZX Z31' all in the main title so it comes up on all the relevant searches.
- Get people with a feedback of less than 5 to e-mail you first with a phone number.

Good luck.

rich

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Thank you all & any other advice on its way.Experience oriented advice is I
Think the best form of advice.Taking notes as I read the posts from all,& also
I will check Top sellers & see how its done before taking the plunge.
Regards DJZ 60.