Creaking noise

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
My 260Z has started making an occasional strange creaking/groaning noise which is particularly noticeable when I am easing the car slowly over speed humps. Seems to be coming from the rear, but very hard to tell. Could it be shock absorber or worn bushes or what? And how the hell do you tell?

status

Well-Known Forum User
Might be the whole car flexing,thats 1 reason some of us have strut bars on the front,but no doubt somebody will have different ideas as to wot it might be

andrew muir

Club Member
Does it only do this on rear wheels etc, and is it consistantly.
Get the whell up on a 2 post ramp and try and simulate the noise with a lang bar for leverage. You could try going over speed bumps on each side at a time? That would narrow it down.
Sounds like a bush etc.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
My first thought was the shell flexing, I've experienced that especially when backing out of my drive over the pavement. Drive diagonally over humps to see what happens.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Is shell flexing a problem? Is it a serious thing? Not heard the noise before this week.

status

Well-Known Forum User
The shell is suppose to flex a bit i think,a bit of body roll isn't a bad thing either,gives you more of an idea when you are going to end up on your roof,the strut bar tightens things up a bit,but if you are just going to drive on the roads then dont worry about it,the race boys on here will be able to add more to this as im probably talking ***** in some peoples opinion

Dale

Club Member
My car creaks when going over bumps or steep curbs slowly too. I always thought it was the shell flexing and paid it no mind. I doubt my sunroof helps much either :eek:

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
If you have poly bushes in the suspension these can cause "creaking" after a while if there's not enough grease/lubricant.

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
Riddler, the only issue for me would be why has it only just started.
That's my thought. Sure it is some bushes or other. Doesn't seem to do it all the time. May have to get Mr Warburton in Macclesfield to investigate.
Thanks to all the rest of you who responded - appreciated.

Mr HollowPoint

Well-Known Forum User
Anti-Roll bar maybe? My BMW has recently started making a clanking noise over bumps and kerbs etc. turns out it's the drop links that attach the ARB to the chassis, could be the bushes on them?