common rust areas

Needa240z

Club Member
Hi all
Looking to by a z car in uk.
What are the main areas to look at for rust etc. Also are body repair panels redaly available
Cheers

Makesy

Club Member
Floors, dog legs are usually evident and obvious

Whilst not necessarily rusty, look for damage to the frame rails.

Our cars are around 50 years old now so you'll inevitably get rust in all sorts of places and unless it's been stripped in recent years you won't necessarily find rust at first glance (I guess that's part of the fun!)

SacCyclone

Club Member
Hatch slam panel and spare tire well.
Also cowl and tension rod attachment areas.
Basically the whole car if you haven't figured that out yet....take someone with you that knows these cars and what to look for.

Andy at Auto Panel Solutions is great and parts fit well.

Mike

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Hi all
Looking to by a z car in uk.
What are the main areas to look at for rust etc. Also are body repair panels redaly available
Cheers
I think you need to consider your budget and share it with us. Then we will know how much rust you will be faced with if you buy the right car for the money.

That will then give you an idea of the 'adventure' ahead of you. They are wonderful cars but you need to understand them before you buy. The first stage is to ask on here, so it looks like you know what you are doing.

Ian

Club Member
Rust can be everywhere, but Dog legs have to be the worst and most common place.

Could be cheaper overall to get one already done, but only if they have full extensive photographic evidence of how well it was restored.

candy red

Club Member
Rust can be everywhere, but Dog legs have to be the worst and most common place.

Could be cheaper overall to get one already done, but only if they have full extensive photographic evidence of how well it was restored.
I second what Ian says 🤓

Davidsw

Club Member
I’m in Oxfordshire if you need help on a car I will help . It’s not what you can see it’s what you can’t see and signs of that even after repair .

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
If you want to learn about how the car fits together and some of the hidden rust areas, you could do a lot worse than spending a half an hour looking through each of these threads …

There are other great threads under the project threads too. While these guys are pretty hardcore and fabricate as the go, I have learned a lot from their work in understanding how our cars are put together and where water traps and rusts where you can’t see.

IMHO, NO CAR is totally rust free, it’s just a matter of how little or much there is that you can afford / accept etc.

Last edited:

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
I wish I hadn't read this chat....given me massive anxiety!!
Ha! Trouble is, if you buy any car of the era, you find rust, especially if you plan to use / wash your car - so it's more a case of acceptance! :p

Even my Father in Law's extensive full strip / dip / treat / paint restore on his 60's Volvo 123 amazon, 15 years later, rust bubbles are starting to re-appear in places.

Just a joy of classic car ownership.

candy red

Club Member
If you want to learn about how the car fits together and some of the hidden rust areas, you could do a lot worse than spending a half an hour looking through each of these threads …

There are other great threads under the project threads too. While these guys are pretty hardcore and fabricate as the go, I have learned a lot from their work in understanding how our cars are put together and where water traps and rusts where you can’t see.

IMHO, NO CAR is totally rust free, it’s just a matter of how little or much there is that you can afford / accept etc.
Oh no I’ve just looked back on my thread and now I’ve got anxiety 😂