Chemical Strip

Mr Tenno

Digital Officer
Staff member
Site Administrator
So my local body shop has recommended a chemical dip and strip at SPL. I've read plenty about the risk of chemicals trapped in seams and the pros and cons against media blasting but does anyone have direct experience of SPL and their process?

Mr.G

Club Member
If you're not in any hurry try to get yourself to the classic car restoration show, it's usually on in November at the NEC - All the acid dipping vendors will be out in full force, which gives you lots of opportunities to quiz them on their services.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I have experience of SPL

DON'T DO IT

Simple as that.

I only ever soda blast now.

I know plenty of people that share my bad experience

Priceless cars ruined

uk66fastback

Club Member
If I remember right, nearly 10 years ago when my Mustang was being restored I was quoted about £600-£800 for a full strip by beads/eggshells/crushed glass/cornflakes etc ...

I did see someone quoted a price on a forum not so long ago and it hadn't gone up much - if at all. The more work YOU can do stripping stuff off - underseal etc - will lower the price. You could have the outside stripped and you could do the inside with the flappy wheels on the angle grinder or drill which could save a shedload.

vipergts

Well-Known Forum User
I've been paying about 1500 notes from memory

Inside out upside down.Total total job

He's in Knockholt Kent

johnymd

Club Member
So as a guide price, it will be between £300 and £1500. I may take the blue one back to its bones and build another hybrid. Ha ring driven my other blue car lately I'd forgotten just how nice the engine is. I real pleasure to potter about in and uses no fuel.

richiep

Club Member
Just remember with soda blasting the absolute key is the quality of the clean-up job before painting. Soda acts as a rust preventative while bare metalled. However, the soda must be completely neutralized and removed from everything otherwise there is a risk of paint adhesion problems. The shell has to be completely washed down using some sort of neutraliser (the Yanks use HoldTight 102 - not sure what is the equivalent here, although I bet Rustbuster Chlor-X would be).

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
just to add, mine was sand blasted:eek:

You can sand blast a dry state import no problem Franky ;) just don't try it with a UK car :lol:

Price of blasting has a few variables ie where you are in country, media used, VAT reg, co or one man band etc but should be in region of £ 750/1000.

johnymd

Club Member
I only paid a few hundred to get 4BOA sandblasted but I just hate the fact that you will be finding sand in the car for years to come.

candy red

Club Member
I had my 260 Bead blasted only 3 month ago cost £360 the guy who done it was great really passionate about what he dose won't blast the roof though fear of distortion only just the other side of Northampton not to far for you can give you his number if interested

Derrick:)

I only paid a few hundred to get 4BOA sandblasted but I just hate the fact that you will be finding sand in the car for years to come.

Mines been upside down more times than I can remember, its still leaking sand, its even been blown and hoovered out a few times. I prefer sand to be leaking out instead of acid.

The painters been taping all the gaps/holes/screw holes before painting the outside stuff.

Mr.G

Club Member
I'm still not at the stage where I need to make a decision about this. I have to say that I was impressed after speaking with Pro-Strip and Enviro-Strip at the NEC and felt more at ease.

Also what I found interesting was that EnviroStrip use Pyrolsys (heat) to remove the paint, they state the advantages over shot blasting/chemical stripping as follows:

No harsh chemicals are trapped in the seams & box section which can cause issues later in life
No indentation to the shell from shot blasting
No sand / grit trapped in seam joints
Saves time and money for the customer when the shell goes into the paint shop
The body shell stays on one secure process frame throughout the process eliminating any damage to the shell
http://www.envirostripukltd.com/portfolio/auto-restoration

By using heat to remove the paint there is less of a requirement to use high strength chemicals in the process.

I've not heard a bad word yet about either of the two companies I mention and it appears that all the negative feedback seems to stem from one particular outfit (panels damaged, acid seeping out... etc) . I am not going to be dipping the whole chassis in but just panels, they still have seams of course and I am still not 100% decided on the route I'm going to take but EnviroStrip and Pro-Strip are on my list if chemical stripping is the route I'll take.

richiep

Club Member
Enviro-Strip do use acid during the second de-rusting stage of their process (after pyrolysis) but importantly its phosphoric acid, not hydrochloric. This means it can be fully neutralized with suitable salt removers during the same stage.

If you look through the gallery on their website, there's actually a US import 240Z shell pictured before and after their process.