Check this out for hybrid Z

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Just got these Pics yesterday From a guy called Jason in the States.
Quote:
"I have included several pics that I took over the course of several months during the fabrication. I hand built the entire chassis using chromoloy of different sizes. The trans tunnel and firewall were re-done for the radical engine set-back, the rear foil was built from scratch using 6061 aircraft grade aluminum as well as the dash. I fabricated a new mount for the after market power rack and pinion..it's an Appleton with 2.25 turns lock to lock. Honestly, there is not much left stock on the Z. I have to modify, fabricate or alter almost everything on this car. I just recently added the large race wheels and slicks. A company called Complete Custom Wheels ( CCW ), hand built them per my specs. 18 by 11.5 on 305/30's up front and 18 by 12.5 on 335/30's out back! Stupid big tires, but I should get some serious traction. As you can see form the pics it has been alot of work, changed along the way, and almost looked like a car again at one point. I can't wait to drive this beast. After I get the Z back from paint, I will send along some more pics"

Attachments

• GT 240 001.jpg
    GT 240 001.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 112
  • GT 240 004.jpg
    GT 240 004.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 117
  • GT 240 058.jpg
    GT 240 058.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 118
  • GT 240 067.jpg
    GT 240 067.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 116
  • GT 240 078.jpg
    GT 240 078.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 119
Last edited by a moderator:

jay28

Well-Known Forum User
wow thats a serious machine...alot of time effort and money gone into that......what engine has he got in there? v8?

Jay

Russ

Club Member
Woah that looks very serious. The wing isn't my thing but it looks very trick. The wide arches remind me of what Darius posted of his mods. Nice to see :D

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
Wing REALLY spoils an otherwise nice looking car! Just takes it into the daft/silly looking arena... shame really.

Nigel Brook

Well-Known Forum User
Markp.com said:
Wing REALLY spoils an otherwise nice looking car! Just takes it into the daft/silly looking arena... shame really.

Maybe, but this one is obviously built for racing and the wing is not just there for show. This guy presumably has a connection with aircraft and aerodynamics judging by the rest of the car. Must be incredibly light.

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Bit more info from Jason
Wow..thanks Simon. Let all the boys know how much I appreciate that positive feedback. I forgot to give you some specs on the car. I used digital four corner scales and the static weight is 2168 lbs. w/o driver. It has near perfect 50/50 with the front at 50.1% and the rear at 49.9 %...and that's with me in the car. Not bad for a garage build huh? The motor is a mildly worked over 350ci Chevy out of my buddies 85 Iroc Camaro. It should be about 330 to 350 hp at the flywheel. Btw it has aluminum flywheel, an aggressive clutch, and a TKO 600 Tremac trans with a short throw shifter. Complete coil overs, hand built hollow sway-bars, chromoly control arms front and rear. I installed a new full race differential with two way limited slip, that should be interesting getting used to. Now as for the rear foil, any GT spec car needs some type of wing. I lost control briefly at over 100mph in this car when it was on the street and that won't happen again. I hand built the foil using a template I pulled from a NASA website. It has minimal drag with a high down force yield. At 1 to 2 degrees of attack angle it will produce over 600 lbs of force on the rear of my car. It is bolted directly to the roll cage and not to the trunk. Well I better get back to work. I have to finish this old fart's plane today since he has a trip on Friday..it must be tough! I will talk to you soon Simon

Last edited by a moderator:

datsun dave

Club Member
Markp.com said:

No way man car is built for speed it needs that wing to stay on the ground !!!!

The car is just :thumbs:

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
I've read (and can't find it now) that those huge wings are more show than providing actual down force for most motors. You have to be approaching F1 speeds for them to have a serviceable effect.

Damnit, I wish I could find that article!

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
I'm no expert on wings but I would imagine a guy that keeps planes in the air would have a good idea how much downforce a wing would give at a given speed

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
twoforty said:
I'm no expert on wings but I would imagine a guy that keeps planes in the air would have a good idea how much downforce a wing would give at a given speed

I'm sure they make loads of difference when you're going 200-300 miles an hour! :D

Each to their own though!

Nidge74

New Forum User
Nigel Brook said:
This guy presumably has a connection with aircraft and aerodynamics judging by the rest of the car.

I'd say thats a pretty good guess seeing as the pics are taken in an aircraft hangar :p

Russ

Club Member
I think Nissans original spoiler had it right, sorta blocks the air from falling off the back of the car so it builds high pressure over the hatch which then acts down upon the rear glass (from my basic understanding).

Underbody groundeffects are just as important really.

Anyway bit off topic but still really impressive build.

Russ

Club Member
Oh and big wings are just for Cavaliers and Saxos :)

NISMO01.jpg

ben240z

Club Member
The wing that should sit on the back of my car does have an effect in rear end grip at around 80mph cornering speeds. The downside is that in a straight line at higher speeds they do produce significant drag so more power is needed. Running back to back tests with the wing on my car was interesting to say the least. Its nice to see another wide bodied Z. Nice job matey keep us posted