Buying Car No TAX and No MOT

Mr.G

Club Member
There is a car which I wish to purchase and it has no road tax and no mot, am I allowed to drive it home and tax and MOT it later? It will be sitting on private land (my driveway) till I sort the bits out.

I couldnt seem to find this information on the DVLA site, so if anyone knows, please let me know.

Thanks!

NO.
Get a trailer.
Driving a car without tax, MOT or probably insurance??
You gotta be kidding!

Ahh ok.. Wasn't 100% sure,

I would have definately rang my insurance company to cover it though. Not that daft.

Will look into trailer hiring companys.

Cheers Mr. Mac.

If you insure the car and book it in for an mot the same day as you pick it up then you can, by law you can drive it to an MOT station without an MOT I'd check it was safe to drive first:eek:

Thanks two forty. That may be a good solutution and would save me money on a trailer.

The MOT has only just expired, apparently good tyres, drives well, and good brakes.

Hi,
Even if the vehicle is sitting on your land and not on the highway, you still need to either tax it or SORN it.You can do this on-line nowadays.
If you drive the car without tax on the road, you're automatically uninsured!
Vehicle Licensing Online

If you insure the car and book it in for an mot the same day as you pick it up then you can, by law you can drive it to an MOT station without an MOT I'd check it was safe to drive first
True, but you have to be driving it to the MOT test which MUST be pre booked, and not driving it home from buying it.
Most insurance is invalid IF the car has no MOT.
Just consider this scenario...
You have just bought a car, no tax, no test, and therefore no valid insurance. You are driving it for the first time when suddenly a child darts out into the road to catch her scarf which is blowing away.... You jump on the brakes... but they are not quite as good as you thought.. and....bang.
Need I go on.
all in an effort to save a £40 trailer hire.

Oh yes , one last thing. Im the little girls Dad and I get legal aid cos Im on the dole.So my barrister isnt to impressed by the above scenario! Bang your in jail! And I have a reception party waiting WHEN you get out.

back to a trailer it is!!

It's great having my own legal eagles on this forum!

Thank you guys.

Anyone recommend a national trailer hire company?

Mr.G said:
back to a trailer it is!!

Good choice bud :)

Mr.G said:
Anyone recommend a national trailer hire company?

Best to look in the yellow pages or yell.co.uk for local places, there usually cheaper and you get a better service :)

Cheers

Good call Chunk.
smiley20.gif

by law you can drive it to an MOT station without an MOT I'd check it was safe to drive first

I didn't say drive it home then for an MOT, If its has just run out then you can drive it insured to the MOT centre, You can't tax it until its MOT'd so as soon as you have the MOT you need get to the post office :)

Just consider this scenario...
You have just bought a car, no tax, no test, and therefore no valid insurance. You are driving it for the first time when suddenly a child darts out into the road to catch her scarf which is blowing away.... You jump on the brakes... but they are not quite as good as you thought.. and....bang.

I picked up my 240 (taxed and mot'd) and drove it 500 miles home. The next day I checked the car out and it was far from safe :eek: . I wouldn't rely on an MOT to prevent you from hitting a child.

Is it very far from you George? Could you tow it using a bar or enquire of your local breakdown service how much they charge, my local breakdown man will transport a car in the Bristol city and environs for £25, further away more money but a lot less hassle than renting a trailer. Adrian

Thanks Adrian for the very helpful reponse, alas not close enough to tow.

I also think that twoforty makes a very valid point. I will check out how I stand with my insurance company and if its a No.. then it'll have to be one of the other options suggested.

CheerZ.

:280Z: can i just say. as we know we can go to an mot station pre booked without an mot in said car, that mot station HAS GOT TO BE the closest 1 to you and you have to go strate to it then strate back to where you keep the car. maybe there is somone here with a tralor that could help?? what car is it and where are you. ho you can also use a dolly or A frame if the tyres of the car that are going to be on the road are leagal

martin w

Here's another idea, maybe a bit naughty but I'm sure its not the first time its been done.
If you have full AA cover or any other get you home style cover you could fake a break down at the sellers house :devil:

Problem is, he will come and start it up with the key and then I will have to perform an oscar of wow how did you do that? And then drive off anyway :D

depends on what the repair is. If, for example it's a z32 and the fan belt's bust it's a trailer home. You would be very unlucky to find a road patrol who would attempt that. BTW they do look at your tax disc!

ive done that,brought a 280zx and pretended someone nicked me drivers seat,got it trailerd from the other side of london,also if you know someone in the game you might be able to drive it on their traders insurance,maybe

Just to add to this debate, if you're buying through ebay, they've partnered with an insurance company to give you free insurance to drive your recent purchase home!

You have to fax some information off to them, but thats about it! Result! :)

crushed.

HELLO GEORGE.
Make sure all in order as the government have given the DVLC & council's full power's to remove,confiscate vehicles as the following show's.
A friend recently booked holiday abroad. He was due to go
in the middle of the month,he wrote to dvlc & sent a cheque,requesting
rd tax to be sent in the post.This was so his sister could stick tax on his car.
DVLC recieved cheque,whilst he was abroad,& sent tax. The tax disc
was posted to 1B instead of 18. (Sister did not recieve post/disc).
Council put notice on car! & a week later took car away!
When he rang up council for his car???????
The council replied:
IT HAS BEEN CRUSHED!!!!New Alloy's,NEW STEREO SYSTEM,gleaming motor Gone! DJZ 60.:cool:

Back