Been on the rollers

jimyj

Club Member
Well after setting my 240 up best i could , thought i would get it put through its paces on a rolling road , i know a guy local to me who only does old stuff , carbs are his thing , was well pleased , 158 @ 120 at the wheels , it only needed a bit of tweeking but now pulls so much better , i just thought for a 37 year old car thats not a bad result , oh and bog standard spec engine ,even the hatachi carbs .

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
I'm assuming you mean 158bhp at the engine, 120bhp at the wheels.

That's impressive for a standard car, in fact that's 8 bhp more than the Nissan figures when they were new! Of course there are differing ways of measuring bhp and differing Rolling Roads but still it seems to be running nicely!

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
158 at the wheels would equate to "around" 190 at the fly....

If its a bog standard engine its 158 at the fly and thats pretty good.

Any graph to post up ?

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Here's two runs I've done so far in my datsun, First is with rich Su's and second with the roughly set up webers.

powerrun20001.jpg

powerrun10001.jpg

I'm hoping to find the time to drop the car off this week to get the webers sorted once and for all, Well all is a bit hopeful maybe lol, Lets just say set up properly until they go out of balance shall we.

Rob

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Rob,

A triple setup is purely mechanical in nature and as such should be extreamly predictable in nature.

If you find that your setup "drifts" then something is moving, once locked down a triple setup should be fairly consistant baring the effects of temperature on the linkages (very minor)

Sadly, a fair proportion of triple setups are held together with bailer twine and spaghetti giving aditional credance to the "always going out of tune" myth. (a bad workman and all that)

If you invest in good quality linkages and have them set up correctly in the first place then there is no reason why they should go out of balance on anything but a rare occasion and even then buy the smallest amount.

vpulsar

Well-Known Forum User
Rob,

A triple setup is purely mechanical in nature and as such should be extreamly predictable in nature.

If you find that your setup "drifts" then something is moving, once locked down a triple setup should be fairly consistant baring the effects of temperature on the linkages (very minor)

Sadly, a fair proportion of triple setups are held together with bailer twine and spaghetti giving aditional credance to the "always going out of tune" myth. (a bad workman and all that)

If you invest in good quality linkages and have them set up correctly in the first place then there is no reason why they should go out of balance on anything but a rare occasion and even then buy the smallest amount.

Hopefully as myvset up is all brand new once it's been set up correctly it should work well for quite some time.

Rob