At Last .... A Drivetrain

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
At long last, the shell is done, the e-coat is finished, the cage is in etc etc.

Now it is time to start bolting together.

The last bits to get were drivetrain, suspension and wheels, everything else is boxed and waiting......so here goes :

LS2 - 6.0L V8
2,700 miles
400BHP
400ft/lb
T56 box
All wiring, ecu, headers, ancilliaries etc etc included.

Will try 400BHP first, if it works will leave it alone, if not will tweak the engine (easy and cheap) to 500BHP. ALL advice from those that know is anything above 400BHP will start to become a real handful.

Attachments

• engine 1.jpg
    engine 1.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 40
  • engine 2.jpg
    engine 2.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 27
  • engine 3.jpg
    engine 3.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 20
  • engine 4.jpg
    engine 4.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 19
  • engine 6.jpg
    engine 6.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 23

Mr.G

Club Member
Are you fitting really wide wheels? Have you extended the arches? It would help with getting those horses to the floor.

Nice bits!! :)

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
last two pics.....

Suspension and wheels next then a large bucket of bolts and some time later it should work. Then it will be stripped, painted then reassembled.

It has been a long time getting this far ....

Attachments

• engine 7.jpg
    engine 7.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 30
  • engine 8.jpg
    engine 8.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 23

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.G said:
:)Are you fitting really wide wheels? Have you extended the arches? It would help with getting those horses to the floor. Nice bits!!

The original plan was Porsche 930 arches like the Swedish car but I have decided to leave the car looking stock.... the arches will be advertised soon along with lots of other stuff......(sorry I did not reply about the bonnet...still there if u want it)

Sato San's car runs 10' rear and 9' front - I doubt I will be able to get them under standard arches though. The key to the traction will be the tyres and probably more importantly the suspension......

Mr.G

Club Member
and the diff! :) What diff are you going for then?

Sounds like an awesome set up!! You must be happy things are moving on.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
:D Yes I am very happy now it is rolling a bit faster - the diff is kind of guesswork right now.

I have sold the 4.3 and the 4.6 I bought from Alan because they are simply wrong for the application. I have a 3.9 left (NISMO LSD), again from the Count's Top Notch Far Eastern Goodies Emporium and a new 3.1 crown wheel and pinion set from Mr F. There is a fair chance that it will end up with a Quaife ATB which apparently helps monkeys like me drive better..

My suspicion is that 3.1 will be too sluggish and 3.9 may be a little lively. The figures Mr F did for me through his drag software are very impressive but of course it won't be that easy in real life (I will be driving remember .... after a fashion) - if the diff is too lively then it will be harder to control.

The objective is no longer ultimate power (easy to do, pain in the arse to control), it is now to build a really fast, pleasurable car to drive. My gut feel is that 400BHP will be more than enough - look at the the Rutland Express.... 260BHP but M5 territory ....

There are several cars being built with a lot more power but I am frankly worried that if I go to 5/6/650 BHP then I would have to feather the throttle so so gently round corners it would not be much fun to drive in anything other than a straight line. We will see..........

I have listened intently to people who know lots more than me and am subsequently changing direction slightly.... hey ... that's no bad thing :D At least they have been good enough to share their experience (Thanks Alan, Skiddy, Mr F, Zeeman)

Mr.G

Club Member
I am only a young novice when it comes to such matters but I would have thought that a 3.9 diff may be too low geared for the kind of power that you will be making on standarish rear wheels and 3.1 does sound too high geared, will be great on the motorway though!

How about a 3.6 or 3.7?

There must be some mathematical formulae that will give you the perfect diff ratio for your application.

Russ

Club Member
Remind me is this is a v fast road car right? Not track or strip dedicated?

Also can you remind me of Sato San's car please? (or is it Sato Sans?).

Nice to see some progress :) Keep it going, looking forward to the finished car!

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, it should be a fast road car but I also want to track and drag it occasionally. It needs to be smooth, fast, reliable and most of all fun..

Sato San's car is more of a racer http://zhp.satokikaku.com

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Just bought a toolbox as it is mostly bolt together now ....... anyone got a sh*tload of decent tools for sale ????? Am serious - will have to go off to buy some within next week or so

PLEASE SEE CLASSIFIEDS FOR LIST OF TOOLS REQUIRED - MANY THANKS

Attachments

• toolbox.jpg
    toolbox.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
datsun dave said:
Zhead thats going to be one hell of a car :bow:

Thanks Dave .... your RB won't be too shabby either :bow: :eek:

They will probably drive differently because mine has more cubes as the Americans put it but when your boost cuts in .......watch out dragstrip.

Have you sussed out the traction situation yet ? How are you planning to keep it on the road ? I am looking at custom suspension, very sticky tyres and a gentle-ish right foot.

datsun dave

Club Member
Will go down the Quaife route in a R200 and hope for the best

There is going to be lots of BHP in the club this year (and that is just Skidders car)

status

Well-Known Forum User
mine will be up to 260bhp by the summer,only 234 at the moment,gonner change a few things and get it mapped and rolling roaded properly this time

twoforty

Well-Known Forum User
Dave, how much ios the Quaife lsd?

Zhead, looking good, looks like a whole bunch of us are going to have some serious BHP this year....I'm going for 350hp...I have the tyres for it just need to stop one from spinning!

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Two Forty - great to hear there will be lots of big horses around, what engine will you be using ? Why not start a thread on the project, would love to see.

Quaife ATB is under £600 for an R200 but they will most likely charge to fit it and set it up.

I have a NISMO LSD but will 99% certainly end up with a Quaife ATB. Traction will be the BIG issue for all of us. No point sliding the arse end around everywhere. The Devil will be in the detail.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Now I have done the due dilligence, it transpires that certain things need changing to make the LS2 engine fit into the Z engine bay.

It requires the following :

12551577 Camaro/Firebird dipstick tube
12551581 Camaro/firebird dipstick
12558762 Camaro/Firebird oil pan
12558253 Camaro/Firebird windage tray
12558251 Camaro/Firebird oil pump pickup
US Driver side Camaro engine mount
JCI installation kit specifying 240 for the gearbox mount
GTO Clutch Master Cylinder
electronic speedo
electronic tacho
B&M Ripper Shifter

The latest model T56 gearbox has a plastic section at the rear which prohibits the box fitting closely enough inside the tunnel, and the gear stick is about 3" too far forwards. The answer is a B&M ripper shifter for short throw gear changes. This sets the gear stick back slightly and perfectly in line with the hole in the tunnel.

http://www.bmracing.com/index.php?id=products&sid=4&cat=3&subcat=15&pid=334

THIS IS NOT MY CAR BUT SHOWS THE SHIFTER

Attachments

• B&M Shifter.jpg
    B&M Shifter.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 28

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Just had the email from the shipper to say my engine lands at Felixstowe on Saturday, will take a few days to clear customs, get unpacked and shipped up to me.

Only major bits left to buy now are suspension and brakes then it is trial fit time ............

Ditched the idea of AP Racing brakes in favour of Wilwood, will use normal suspension while I save up for Ohlins (unless of course the normal suspension works really well)

Going to be a REAL challenge trying to make it as clean as Datsun Dave's ......:bow: