alloy radiator

highway star

Well-Known Forum User
could use some advice as i'd like to treat myself to a 3 core alloy rad. but unsure which are the best ones. there's some on ebay from australia which look great but the price seems to good to be true - £131 and unless i've read it wrong comes with free postage. and what about electric fans? motorsport have some but they come with two fans which seem a bit extra for uk climate! any thoughts?

could use some advice as i'd like to treat myself to a 3 core alloy rad. . there's some on ebay from australia which look great but the price seems to good to be true - £131 and unless i've read it wrong comes with free postage.

Ting tong said he luv u long time if you buy his rad :D

Still looks a bargain price? Might be worth a punt ?

I thought I would have a go at one of these a few months back, could not quite get my head around the free shipping either but hey if it worked out at what I paid I've got a cheap rad. Blow me a few days later it arrived from the states no duty to pay either, very pleased with the rad & their service.

The only thing you will find if fitting to a 240 it will hang below the front cross member, but this is the case with all the ally rads available. The good thing with this one also is that you retain your original hoses.

I did pay £450 for a previous cross flow ally rad from z race products, do not go there as they do not fit without modification to the bottom pipe, I was so p*ssed off about that deal that I could never fit it to my car, it is now fitted to Terry's 240.

sorry aceman i dont know how to link things, but the ebay reference number is 280667821499. if you type that in the address bar it should bring it up. samuri-240 is it the same company? this one is called radiatorwarranty based in australia.

yeah but what about leccy fans? are they a good idea. just thinking if im gonna replace the rad i may as well do that at the sane time but wanna get it right as everything i do normally turns to s..t

One big or two small at the front (so push) with an adjustable thermostat in the top rad hose. Lose the mechanical fan behind.

I got a griffin rad from summit racing in the states. Great people to deal with and the price pretty good. Less than £200 with delivery. Just measure your space and hose locations and order the one that best suits your car. You will have to make up bracket to fit it though.

Why a push fan? I always thought/found pull to be the best.

Based upon what experience please ?

Mine has idled in 40°c then just blasted away then (unfortunately) idled again and never did the temp go above 2/3 ! They only come on when REALLY hot and force air through the rad as naturally happens at speed. Gives more space for that lovely crank damper too ;)!

The only thing you will find if fitting to a 240 it will hang below the front cross member, but this is the case with all the ally rads available. The good thing with this one also is that you retain your original hoses.

No its not the case with all ally rads.....:confused:
Mine fits perfectly.:bow: Its the same dimensions as the stock item
You just bought the wrong one:rolleyes:

and it was Cheap cheap cheap!!
:D:D:D

Based upon what experience please ?

Mine has idled in 40°c then just blasted away then (unfortunately) idled again and never did the temp go above 2/3 ! They only come on when REALLY hot and force air through the rad as naturally happens at speed. Gives more space for that lovely crank damper too ;)!

Having the same CFM fan mounted on the front of my last project, it would take 8 minutes to pull it to a low enough temp to switch off, on the rear in a pull operation it would take 5 minutes to do the same.

Thinking about it at the time, how many modern cars or production cars do you see with them mounted in front of the radiator?

Having the same CFM fan mounted on the front of my last project, it would take 8 minutes to pull it to a low enough temp to switch off, on the rear in a pull operation it would take 5 minutes to do the same.

Thinking about it at the time, how many modern cars or production cars do you see with them mounted in front of the radiator?

Good to see some back to back comparison. I've always wondered which was best. I've mounted mine in front as its then hidden between the intercooler and the rad. Mine works OK in this position it is but its nice to know that if I have problems I could move it to the rear.

I use a 'push' fan. It's neat and gives me better access to the engine, especially when I need to turn it by hand for valve clearance adjustment.

It is not as efficient as the original mechanical fan - don't know if this is because it's pushing or fan blade size etc. But it's good enough. The mechanical fan helps with engine-bay temps but saps power.

IMO if a road car just keep the original fan as long the fluid clutch works and the blades aren't cracked.

Alloy rads, yes they look nice, they don't rust either. Can they be repaired/recored? I've had my rad recored and repaired after damage. Some are crossflow - do we know why?

That's because the front is full of aircon condensers and oil rads which don't affect airflow or rad temps !

Fit the fans in front or behind - whatever but fit a decent rad or you're wasting your time (decent means in good condition and clean not necessarily new, reconditioned or alloy or whatever).

Crossflow better Mr Gaskin.

Mechanical fan noisy too - no reason why a road car, even standard can't switch to leccy fan (s) and dump the mechanical one - JUST make sure that the rad is decent (see above) which applies to EVERY Z with or without a meccy fan.

Back