3/84 NA Z31 Project

Northerner

Club Member
Hi guys just registered so bear with me as this is my first post. I've been on zxoc and s12oc for ages and I was a member of Kieth Purdons NTOC for years but recently I acquired a Z31 after wanting one since I was a boy. I started on Cherry Turbos when I was eighteen as they were affordable, then onto Bluebirds with my 87 Silvia as my current motor which I transplanted in a rebuilt ca18det for a bit more power.
Anyways I got this one from fle-bay at the end of last year from a nice bloke who's dad was leaving it to rot in his garden. Its a very early 84 model accrording to Fast with a manual box. Since getting it, its sat under cover until the weather gets better for me to work on it. I have spent a couple of afternoons on it so far by taking out the full interior just to see what I had. The list of things I found immediately were rust in the lower 1/4's, sills, wings and the odd scab on the roof. The matrix has also been bypassed. The best bit is the na engine which starts up on the button and revs freely and has only done 87k. I'm now the proud owner of a Clarke 135TE welder which I used for the first time patching the wifes n15 Almera. I'm just hoping its upto the job when I get cracking with the Z31.....
Spoke to Mike today and I think he can get me some sills but there will be loads of stuff I will need like a matrix unless I can get mine fixed. Let me know if your breaking one or know if there are any in breakers yards. Cheers

Resize_P051110_1034.jpg

P071110_1219.jpg

P071110_1218.jpg

P071110_1219_02.jpg

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
HI welcome and good luck with the project, I started with A SIP 130 turbo mig many years ago and it was great,looks like a good project keep us updated, and well done for fixing up a Z31, they need the help as they seemed to be unloved.

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
Well done for becoming a 'Z Club Member'. Found your pictures of the empty car interesting - I like to see how the shells are designed.

Can I make a plea to you (and others who join via Paypal) I need your car and contact details for our database. Please see the attached for guidance.

Attachments

• MembershipformRob2.doc
    53.5 KB · Views: 4

Nidge74

New Forum User
Hey Northerner, welcome.

I think I must apologise, I just bought up most of Mike's Z31 stock, including sills. :(

Need a lot of work on mine over the summer, but at least I got the Z32 to keep my smiling.

Have a browse in the classifieds as I'm sure I remember someone breaking a Z31 recently.

Good luck with the resto, and perhaps we can meet at an event someday, as several years with ZXOC I not sure we ever met. But I do believe we have owned the same car.

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
Hiya Northerner !
Always good to see another z31 being saved :bow: I'm taking delivery of a drivable z31 at the end of the month for parts, and the only thing i dont need is body parts and other assorted bits as ours is great body wise ,,,so i'll let you know how the body parts look when I have it in my hands ! :) I also have the factory service manual on pdf, lemme know if you need :thumbs: :driving:

Northerner

Club Member
Cheers guys! Hey Nidge what car was that ? Was it a White Silvia by any chance ? Zpuppy cool please let me know when you get it dude. Rob I will fill it in and send it back.

BTW my mate is a parts manager at Crosby Park Nissan is Liverpool. If any members call up ( 0151 924 9101 ) and speak to Chris or Stu and mention Steve they will give you a bit of discount. I called yesterday to see if full sills are available and they can get them at £150 for one side and £190 for the other but inner ones are NLA.....

Northerner

Club Member
My mate from the dealer called me today to say the prices have gone up £30 a side so now £180 and £220. What a bummer....

Got the covers off in the sun today and whipped off the front wings which are to far gone. The front legs are solid with little or no rust but whole length of the sills on both sides need urgent attention. I didnt realise that the Z had a wing mounted Oil cooler! I treated a couple of patches of rust with Jenolite on the targa and front panel to stop it getting any worse. I had to also remove a rubber pipe that joins the air box to a resonator as it had perished. I just attched it prior to the resonator for now. I also had the front wheels off for the first time expecting to find two pot calipers but only to find that standard Silvia S12 calipers! When did they update them ?

I've take some more pictures of the bad bits.......

P200111_1458.jpg

P200111_1457_01.jpg

P071110_1219_01.jpg

P200111_1456_02.jpg

P200111_1456_01.jpg

P200111_1611.jpg

Nidge74

New Forum User
Man I thought mine was rusty. Got your work cut out with that one.

Did you once own the SR, or did you own the white S12 auto that went to Terry? That many people have had the SR I lose track of em.

zpuppy

Well-Known Forum User
Northerner,, pm or email me bud ! I think the car I'm getting is probably gonna be in much better shape body wise ( this is a guess, but an educated one ) If this is the case I'm more than happy to pass it on to you . All I'm after is Mechanical parts for spares, not ancillaries really and obviously the engine and drive train to do a spare time build up of a blower vg30 to maybe smoke Santa Pod in a few years time :eek: :driving:

Northerner

Club Member
Man I thought mine was rusty. Got your work cut out with that one.

Did you once own the SR, or did you own the white S12 auto that went to Terry? That many people have had the SR I lose track of em.

I was the owner of the white auto Silvia with the White 17" alloys. That motor was a beast!

B418jpg012.jpg

Northerner

Club Member
Northerner,, pm or email me bud ! I think the car I'm getting is probably gonna be in much better shape body wise ( this is a guess, but an educated one ) If this is the case I'm more than happy to pass it on to you . All I'm after is Mechanical parts for spares, not ancillaries really and obviously the engine and drive train to do a spare time build up of a blower vg30 to maybe smoke Santa Pod in a few years time :eek: :driving:

PM'd you matey

Northerner

Club Member
Aye, Silvia was a beast
IMAG0816.jpg

img080119-1539.jpg

Wheels are still alive and well on the SR.

Lovely motor that was! Them wheels were on another White Silvia I had that I got from another ntoc member years ago. He told me they cost £850 with the tyres as they were a prototype. Wonder were she is now ?

Chas

Z Club Member
Hi, I have got a pair of used Z31 front wings in good nick sitting in my garage going cheap.