260z electronic ignition

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Hello!

My first post on any forum ever - so please forgive me if a thread already exists on the subject, I find the search function rarely returns what I'm looking for.

I've just bought a lovely 260z and was wondering if anyone has tried converting the points using an electronic distributor cap. My father in law has it on his TR4 and 60's Volvo and swears by it.

Any experienced thoughts on which to use and where to buy from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ali
Ps. She's made me realise it's a car you "drive" rather than just "operating the controls" as you do in my Audi.

Dale

Club Member
Welcome to the club :thumbs:

I doubt there are many 240z and 260z's still on points these days. Most people upgrade by fitting the electronic ignition from the later 280zx. It's a very easy swap; there are plenty of threads on it.

I upgrade mine by fitting a magnetic air gap style system by Aldon (Aldon Ignitor and a Flamethrower coil) see ALDON 'IGNITOR' ELECTRONIC IGNITION, FLAME THROWER COILS & IGNITION LEADS --- Aldon Automotive Ltd

It's a really easy DIY job, even for me! :D

Oh and make sure you post some pictures of your car ;)

jonbills

Membership Secretary
Site Administrator
Hi & welcome.
Aldon igniter for me too. one less thing to fanny around with. :)

Mr.F

Inactive
MJP refurbished 280ZX distributor - no core charge or core return. Supplied without lower mount or cap and rotor. £130 + VAT - effectively a new 280ZX distributor, tested and guaranteed...
Approx. one week turnaround on orders.

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi I have used the Pertronix and flamethrower coil(same as Aldon), first one was dodgey but second has been working perfectly for over a year.
Make sure your alternator and regulator are producing enough voltage.
Very easy to fit.
:thumbs:

Stockdale

Club Member
The points conversion kit I initially tried wasn't great. I invested in a 280zx dizzy and the difference was like moving from night to day! Also changed the coil and scrapped all that 'resistor' stuff. My 260z never now misses a beat.

andrew muir

Club Member
Interested in know what problems you had with conversion kit as I also had some initial problems which were sorted out.
How/why is the 280zx superior?? Does it supply a varying dwell??

The points conversion kit I initially tried wasn't great. I invested in a 280zx dizzy and the difference was like moving from night to day! Also changed the coil and scrapped all that 'resistor' stuff. My 260z never now misses a beat.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Great stuff!

Dear all,

Thank you so much for all the responses and apologies for my delayed reply - I travel a lot with my work so rarely get time for the fun stuff!

Looks like I definitely asked the right people. I'll absorb all this great info and will let you know how I get on. Will defo post photos soon.

Thank you all again! :cheers:
Ali

Rob Gaskin

Treasurer
Staff member
Site Administrator
IMO until the supply of 280ZX Distributors dries up that is the way to go. I had Lumenition and it worked ok however Nigel let me try his 280ZX unit and coil and it was just as good in fact this is not a scientific review but the car felt smoother at the top-end.

I also like the fact that it is a Nissan part and there is no additional electronic unit to mount on the inner wing (as with Lumenition).

Current 240Z runs well on points but it's completely standard and more a cruiser than a racer. I get some weird satisfaction about fitting and adjusting points, followed by a session with a timing light. Do I need treatment or will I grow out of it?

Last edited by a moderator:

andrew muir

Club Member
Hi Rob
I know what your talking about, I have the use of a snap-on digital timing light and it is a joy to use reads out the true rpm and the advance and retard etc, deadly accurate just dial in desired advance amount and adjust away. If the guy sels it I would definately buy it.:)

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Gentlemen,

Since you were all so kind to respond quickly I thought I'd give you an update.

So, finally got some time to fiddle with Z - kinda tough to find the time with 15 hour work days, endless house DIY and a 15 month old.

Your posts inspired me to do an inordinate amount of research and go back to first principals to work out the problem.

Symptoms: distinct lack of power/torque at cold startup and very rough idling / acceleration until warm. Even when warm not quite right i.e. poor throttle response at low revs and felt like the odd miss every now and then. Worst still, I managed to cause a good bit of traffic when it gave up at the entrance of the Blackwall tunnel having sat in traffic for 15 mins!!!! This giving up business happened a few more times. But once the bonnet was opened and the engine bay cooled or if I managed to keep it going and got up to 40+ miles per hour to cool, it all went back to normal.

At first I blamed the HT leads and points + dizzy hence considering the electronic ignition option. Then I went back to first principles to understand the root cause by testing/eliminating possible candidates. Long story short, turned out to be the ballast resistor. Once bypassed, Z runs like a dream and purrs at any rev. It starts great now too. Obviously I can't do any long runs as it'll overheat and kill the coil this way.

New Hitachi coil and resistor on order and we'll see if I can make it to the next Goodwood members' day and back without the previous antics. Will keep this post updated with my progress in case it's useful to anyone else.

My next assault is on the alternator as the lights dim at low revs + flicker at any rev. Considering replacing with Bosch internally regulated unit - any voices of experience greatly welcomed! This link below looks like a good 'un but I also can't seem to find them from UK suppliers - any advice?

Bosch W0133-1652677 Alternator | Auto Parts Warehouse

A

Mr.F

Inactive
Just finalising the USA shipment for next month. Alternator kit with diode plug adapter available to order - £159.95 + VAT.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Thanks Mike, got it, put it on (piece of cake job) and the car runs sweet!!! It's made it much smoother any where in the rev range and sits at a solid 14.4v!

Ali

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Ps. In case anyone is wondering, bought from Mike.

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
As you were all so welcoming and helpful, I thought I'd update you on my progress.

So, this was my first post but I only just got round to sorting out this eve.

As per your recommendations, I got hold of a 280zx dizzy with the E12-80 "matchbox". Took me less than 30mins to fit. Seemed too easy to be true, so I turned the key with cynical trepidation and wow!! Seriously! Starts so easily now, rock solid idle and smooth revving round the clock.

So thanks chaps much appreciated.

One question though, I've set her at 10deg BTDC at idle, but someone told me a while back that with 280zx dizzy it should be set to 17degs! Sounds like a lot and if set there I'd worry about detonation at higher revs, what is the consensus on timing?

Thanks,
Ali