240z Lamp Cover ?

Wyn

Club Member
Anyone recognise this ?
Found it in my box of bits but unsure if its for a Z car or not ?
Only have this one, so nothing to compare it to either

Will be for sale when I know what its for

Attachments

• DSC00060.JPG
    DSC00060.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC00062.JPG
    DSC00062.JPG
    792.2 KB · Views: 30
Looks like a number plate lamp and could be part of that monstrosity they bolted to the rear bumpers of uk cars.

Looks like a number plate lamp and could be part of that monstrosity they bolted to the rear bumpers of uk cars.

Correct, there's two lights that make up the lamp unit, both on top of a chrome base, that is then itself sat on the rear bumper.

Yea It is the official number plate light for the UK market my 260Z 2+2 has them on and the American light fittings witch are above the number plate. Hope this helps.

I have exactly the same one on mine.

I was planning to remove it and just keep the two that shine down from above.

Is the number plate illuminated enough with just the downlight ones?

The
I was planning to remove it and just keep the two that shine down from above. Is the number plate illuminated enough with just the downlight ones?

On UK cars, the upper number plate light is just a dummy casing. There are no bulbs incorporated in it. The parts of the unit that are clear on US models (which allow the bulbs to illuminate the number plate) are sprayed the casing colour on UK models. On UK cars there is only illumination from the bumper-mounted lights, if installed as Nissan intended.

All that time and I never realised that as mine doesn't run those lamps, only the upper as shown

But then I bet Sausage knew this all along :unsure:

If only she would have told me :eek:

Attachments

• saus3.JPG
    saus3.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
The

On UK cars, the upper number plate light is just a dummy casing. There are no bulbs incorporated in it. The parts of the unit that are clear on US models (which allow the bulbs to illuminate the number plate) are sprayed the casing colour on UK models. On UK cars there is only illumination from the bumper-mounted lights, if installed as Nissan intended.

Mine is a UK car but for some reason has both. I always wondered why they felt the need to light up the number plate like Blackpool!

The

When i had my bumpers re-chromed, many years ago, i never put the bumper lights back on.

The car has passed several MOT's and to be honest i have never checked or noticed wether the light unit above the number plate actually works or not.

Surely though, if no number plate illumination, no MOT :confused:

Thats how I run mine and it works great, don't know why the uk had to have the "bumper plukes"

I have exactly the same one on mine.

I was planning to remove it and just keep the two that shine down from above.

Is the number plate illuminated enough with just the downlight ones?

...don't know why the uk had to have the "bumper plukes"

The constantly evolving Road Traffic Act (Construction and Use) legislation of the period. Same thing that caught Nissan out regarding the front end lighting/signalling on the UK and European market HS30 and HLS30 models.

Back